Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz 1974/5 - Is this a good price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey there

I've already made a coupla threads but it's now crunch time. Is this bass worth £770? It's a late 74 or early 75, with three bolt neck with microtilt. Good condition, all original - but it LOOKS like it's been sanded or refinished. The current owner doesnt know. How much does a sanding down take off the original value?

The pic doesnt show but its coming with ashtrays and thumbrest.

Would you think £770 (USD $1350 or so) is fair for this? Bear in mind I'm in the UK and we pay a little more than you lucky people in America! I'm hoping it to be a bit of an investment too, over time.

Regards

Mike

2. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Whoops - here is a pic.

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Sorry to bump but would like a few Fender Experts to lend me their opinion if possible.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think the price is pretty much up there. Seems
    kind of stiff to me.

What is a new MIA Jazz going for in your market right
    now?

What numbers are you seeing on the 80's models as well
    locally to you? I got a late 80's MIJ Jazz a few months
    ago, and was very happy with it. $250. I can add ashtrays
    for $50. And I got a really good one I was happy with.

What is it about this bass that makes it worth this much to
    you?

For that price you could literally book airfare to the States and get a used bass as well. Tell Mickey Mouse I said
    Hi!

5. In Europe, a new MIA Jazz goes for ~1100 euros. That´s roughly $1300 or £750. So, if you like that 70´s Jazz better than the new ones, I guess it´s a fair deal.

BTW, since it´s always difficult to compare prices on both sides of atlantic, perhaps we should use a currency we all know very well: basses. Like "MIA Jazz is worth two MIM Jazzes", "You shouldn´t pay more than 3 Yamaha RBX´s for that Warwick" or "I would say that 0,05 Foderas is a good deal" ;)

6. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I have a 1976 just like it with a black pick-guard. I have seen them here in the USA for around $1500 in good condition. It seems these ash natural ones which resemble Marcus Millers are fetching a good price. I love my bass and regret that many years ago I modified it to accommodate a 25 position fretless neck. The neck was made for an older Jazz body thus was slimmer and we had to put a shim in the neck pocket. Now when I want to go back to original, it looks like I'll need to route-out the shim and I will change it back to three holes as we went to four for the fretless neck. It would have been better at the time to just buy a fretless bass, but I was young and the money was tight. Bottom line is that if it is in good condition, sounds great, the neck doesn't have any twist, electronics work and are relatively quiet...I recommend you go for it. It is one of the best sounding and playing basses I own and my main basses are 5-string Wals, fretless and fretted.

7. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for all your help. Does that finish look original to you guys? Or do you think its sanded/refin?

Is there any hard and fast way of knowing? The owner hasnt a clue, sadly.

Mike

8. Here in the Netherlands a bass like that goes for roughly 1700-2000 Euro's, if it's all original. So for 770 pounds i'd buy it, no matter if it's refinished. Hard to tell from the pictures though if it's refinished. Does it matter? Seems like a good job. Keep in mind that the price of these 70's jazzbasses are only going up.
    What matters here is how much work has to be done on the bass, like a refret job; that will cost you another 250-300 euro's, but even then you will have a very good bass for a fair price. Problem with these '76-'79 jazzbasses is that most of them are extremely heavy, around 5 kilo's. But there also are some that are medium weight, and those are the most popular and valuable. So if this one is a medium weight bass, you have yourself a very good deal here.

R.

9. Rbassliner

Rbassliner

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    I purchased a 1976 Fender Jazz at Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan. I think it was (1996) when I bought it. I paid $700.00 USA Dollars. It looks very simular to the one posted (pic). When I bought the bass, it had black paint, and had white pickups, brand Im not sure about. The condition was medium, meaning it wasn't mint but had wear. The tuning heads were original, one was slightly bent. I took it upon myself and bought new tuning heads and installed EMG Jazz pickups (Active), also installed a bassass bridge. I stripped the black paint off with paint remover. I loved the way the wood looked, so I left it natural. It kind of looks like Marcus Miller's Bass. This is my main bass. I have a Zon, and a Spector, but the old bass has a distinct sound to it that the others cant replicate. So. . . This is another road you can take, that is. . . Dont look for mint instruments, look one step lower, and replace if original hardware doesn't matter !! Good Luck :bassist:

10. Rbassliner

Rbassliner

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    :cool: To me, this bass looks like either it was stripped due to the wood grain (because basses that do not have a perfect wood grain, company's paint), or if it was sanded you would see differences in the way the wood looks. Sanded will show a lighter look to it. It you see a inconsistent wood look to it, its possible someone tried doing some repairs on it. From what I see, there is still a clear base coat on it. People seem to care about wheather the bass is all original or not. To me, if you love the way the bass plays and sounds this takes presidence of everything. Either way you can fix the bass to match what you want. ;)

11. The bass looks like a refin, to me. The original paint was most likely stripped down to the natral finish. (I can't be 100% certain though)

The only way to tell for sure is to open up the bass and see what lies under the pups. See if the wires have been resoldered.

Mike I sent you an email........sorry for the late reply!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey again everyone, thanks for the great input! I'm still unsure whether to go for it, I've just picked up a new bass that's pushing for number 1 slot so I dont wanna have the jazz and not play it....any more input appreciated!

Treena, havent received the email as yet!

Regards

Mike

:)

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Mike - Just to let you know one very similar to that (74' i think it was) FLEW out of the bass centre in a couple of days, priced at £1100 :)

14. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Was that the Walnut top refin one? Yeah I saw that, glad to know it sold for that amount :) Thanks

Mike

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO, very good advice. I don't own any collectables, all but 2 of my basses get used and abused regularly. Now if someone willed me a mint condition 60's L-series Jazz, I don't know. I saw one on ebay listed for close to $8000.00! I'd probably sell it to a collector and put the cash into my daughter's college fund. If I had a bass worth that much, I'd be afraid to gig with it, which makes no sense to me. So I'd do the same thing, find a nice Fender that is being sold for a reasonable price. If it needs new hardware, do it.

-Best wishes, A.P.