1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz 24 5 string Q's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Aug 27, 2007.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I am interested in this bass and experiences from owners and folks whom have taken it for a "test drive".

Can it do a old school J bass tone?

Does it have a longer reach to the 1st fret because of the twenty four fret set-up and body shape?

Tone control ability in passive mode?

Thanks.

2. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    I think this was covered in some other threads. In the meantime, I'll answer as follows:

-Since the 24V is active, it probably won't sound completely old school. However, I think you should be able to get close enough with a little EQ-ing, depending on what you're playing. At the end of the day, I think your technique and strings will play a sizable role in regards to sounding old school.

-The reach doesn't feel any longer, it's still a 34" scale. The neck on the 24V IS thicker overall, and wider at the nut, so you will want to take that into consideration.

-You lose the tone controls in passive mode, which I believe is more there as a failsafe in case the battery dies, so it's not a "true" active/passive situation here.

3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    thanks neuro !