Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz 5 From Mechico

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitehouse, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Is it wise to buy a Fender Jazz 5 string that was made in Mexico ??

are they crap, or almost as good as the USA-versions ?

2. I have one and am actually surprised by the quality of it. Plan on dropping a J- Retro pre and some EMGs or DiMarzio pu's in it and then I bet I'll have quite a fine instrument. Build quality is really pretty good and stock sound is better than the price would say.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The build quality is pretty good, and they have good tone, even from the B string. But the B is pretty loose. Make sure that it doesn't bother you, or better yet, play as many as you can and find the tightest B. Just make sure that all of the ones that you play are tuned to concert pitch. I found one with a tight B one time, plugged it in and it sounded like it was tuned to E. Asked for a tuner, and sure enough, it was!!!:rolleyes: Stupid music store. I'm surprised it didn't break the B string.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Mim standards are'nt all that bad of a bass. In that price range I think theyre one of the better ones you can buy.

They have a Poplar body, One piece Maple neck, Pao Ferro fretboard, and if my memory serves correctly, their pickups are fashioned after the american series ones.

The bridge could be a little bit meatier and the tuning pegs a bit tighter for my liking.

The bass is pretty easy to play, and has a pretty decent tone for a bass in this price range.

I play with a light touch so the B string doesnt feel "loose" but ymmv.

sit down and play one for at least 30-60 minutes so you can find out what you do and dont like about it.