Fender Jazz 5 string anyone? (MIA)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 15, 2001.

1. I don't hear much about 5 string Jazz basses. Does anybody here have one and how they rate against other 5 strings?

The Guitar Center is giving me the run-around about replacing my Ibanez BTB1005 with a new one. They said they ordered it a month ago but it's still not in. I'm thinking about taking the one I have and getting my money back. So, I may be getting another bass. The BTB seems to be very hard to find in the Dallas area so I'm going to start looking for other options.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

count, you're right, BTBs are very hard to find in the Dallas area.

I've only seen a couple of 1005s and one 406, and it's a shame because this is the best line of basses that Ibanez has made in years.

As for the Jazz 5 string, they certainly have the look and the tone(and the name;)) but I have yet to play one with a decent B string, at least with what I like in a B string.

If you like the tightness of the BTB's B string, I think that you will be disappointed in the Jazz'.

But, you be the judge. Try out a few at GC, Mars, and Brook Mays.

You might like them more than I do.

Another thing that you can do is call the Brook Mays Pro Shop and see if they will order in a Fender Roscoe Beck for you to try.

This is a great 5 string, and has the best B of any five that Fender makes.
  3. You might also check Spier Music in Garland. THey had several various Ibanez basses in stock the last time I was there...

4. Spier Music is a great store. Only problem is I bought this thing with Guitar Center credit and I would like to use it for a new one because they have a great "0 interest for one year deal" going on.

However, if I have to I will fork out whatever it takes because I'm going to be without a bass until I find something else. {insert high pitched scream}

There doesn't seem to be a lot of good choices for 5 string basses in the $1100 range. There is Fender, Ibanez, Warwick, Peavey.......what else?
    I think Ibanez is the only one of these with a 35" scale neck which translates to a tight B.

Whats a man to do?
  5. embellisher

You might consider the Pedulla Rapture 5 or the Rapture J2 or PJ 5.

These are a 34" scale but have a much tighter B than most 34" scale basses.

Zoo Music on Garland Rd(Dallas store) has 2 Rapture 5's and one Rapture PJ5, and the store in Fort Worth has a couple of Raptures 5's as well.

These are NOS, from before the price increase, and are great deals. The single pickup model is around $1100 and the PJ was around $1300.

I love the BTB, but IMHO even the 1005 model can't compare to my Rapture J2 5 stringer.

The B on the BTB is a little tighter(not much) but the Pedulla blows it away in playability, tone(Bart pickups and preamp) and fit & finish.

And the B on the Rapture sounds like the other strings, unlike a lot of 5 stringers out there. To quote the Bass Player 5 string shootout: 'J like growl from a B string'.
  6. Have you looked at the Cort/Conklin Grove Tools 5? Might be an option for you if you need to shop at GC.

I've also seen smokin' deals from time to time at the GC on Central on Pedulas. They had a Pentabuzz for $1200 not too long ago. There were fretted models as well, but I don't recall the model or price. So, you might want to check out various GCs...

7. embellisher

Pentabuzz for $1200?!?!?

Zowie! I missed out on that one!
  8. here's my 2c on the Fender....

I own a 4-string Marcus Miller Signature, but have been borrowing my friends American Jazz Deluxe 5 for the last 2 weeks. This thing sounds AWESOME!! I picked up my MM again last night and now I don't like it anymore, sounds kinda plastic compared with the 5. I have to say, the Fender 5 has such a great growl, and the 3-band eq takes you anywhere you need to go sonically. I think the B string sounds great. I'm gonna get me one of these and never look back!
    I understand not everyone likes the same basses, but since you started the thread, GO CHECK ONE OUT!!

Anyone want to buy a Marcus Miller Signature Fender Jazz?

9. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I also own an American Deluxe Jazz 5 string and am very satisfied with the bass. You should be able to try one at GC but they'll likely only have one. Musiciansfriend.com will then give you similar prices and the full range of options to choose from, if you find this bass to your liking.

Best of luck,

10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Deluxes aside, the one American Standard Jazz 5 I onwed was without question the worst, clunkiest log I've ever owned. I dumped the thing like a hot potato. I think it was a '97 or '98. Huge, uncomfortable neck, weighed a ton and the tone was nothing but mud. I hope the Deluxes are a LOT better. A Stingray 5 was to the Jazz 5 I owned what Mercedes is to John Deere.
  11. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I could see how an American Standard 5 would sound pretty muddy. However, I bet if you dropped a J-Retro on board preamp into it, that bass would shine.

12. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just bought a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 and I love
    it. Awesome tone and reasonable price. I paid just
    under $1100 at Guitar Center with case included.If
    shopping Guitar Center make sure the bass is set up
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a American DeluxeV Jazzbass and love it! The neck is great and the preamp is very quiet and sounds great....I would at least play one and check it out and see if you like it.
    Aloha, Jerry
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Other than the floppy B string,I like my MIA Jazz V.Got it used,with hardshell case,for $500.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have two MIA JD5's, got both of them cheap. I like the necks...they're not as sleek or as fast as some high end basses but they have a nice substantial feel (see my profile for some of my other basses). The Jazz 5 neck was a real departure from what I was used to, now it's just a joy to play.

Where I really think they shine is in a live situation, they have a sound I can't get from any of my other basses, more growl, less civil, I don't really know what to call it. IMO you could do a lot worse. The B isn't on par with my Lakland or Zon but that doesn't keep it from being very nice.

I'd buy one if I didn't have two already;)...two of the best purchases I've made.