Fender Jazz 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultramangeos, Sep 7, 2001.

1. I am a fan of Fender's basses. I am just starting out with my 2001 MIM Jazz 4 string. Of course I am always dreaming about the next step in my evolution.
    I do not see many players out there using the 5 string American Jazz Bass. Is there a problem with that Bass? Something in the sound, or playability that I as a newbie am not trained to recognize.
    I saw the Bassist for a band called Shootyz Groove uses one pretty effectively, but hardly anyone else:confused:
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    IMO, the low B on the American Jazz doesn't sound very good. I don't much like the low B on the Am Dlx Precision, either.
  3. Yeah that's a nice way to put it i personally think it sounds like sh*t. the good thing about the jazz 5 however is that is has wide string spacing wich would facilitate my mac daddy slap skills :cool:
  4. a 5 string fender jazz is kind of sacrilege anyway eh? :p
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i played the american delux precision and thought that the B string sounded awesome... it had an ash body and a maple fretboard... i was quite impressed, as i normally don't like fender so much. just my input.. i know that bass player really liked the delux jazz 5..i remember reading the article...
  6. i don't think i will ever go above or below 4 string basses

i used to have a 6-string Ibanez Soungear and i liked it for several months, but then i began to hate it!!!

i am so happy with my L-2000.

and as far as 5-string Fender Jazz basses...get a 4 string...

why do ppl nowadays feel the need for a B-string?!?!
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Because we hear the need for those notes, and like the flexibility of being able to play low notes in different places.
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    My feelings, exactly!
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Must all 5 string threads be invaded by the 4 string Luddites?:rolleyes:

The B's are horrible. Some of the worst B's I've played (That award goes to Ibanez' SRs and the Squie 5er). That said, nothing really wrong with them. Just the B...which defeats having a fiver anyway...so no, 5 string fender baaaaad.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Exactly the opposite of my experience. I wouldn't call the B on my MIA JD5's on par with some of my other basses but it's far from bad.

Strange fact: I've played it live and some people actually LIKED it!!:eek:

Bizarre, huh?

In a lot of cases, it comes down to "Why can't I beat on the B string like I beat on the rest of the strings?"

Right...that's the bass' fault.
  12. I tried one a while ago. I wasn't too impressed. It sounded good. But not great. It felt ok. But not good enough. Not too heavy. Looked good though. The abalone dots on the pau ferro sure look nice. I wouldn't recommend it but there is WAY worse. No doubt.

Keep your stick on the ice.
  13. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    if you like the sound of the B and rest of the strings... go for it! But i don't think the Bs are that good on those Fenders
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I learned that one the hard way, I would beat on the B the same way I would the E and thought my god this B strings pathetic, whyd I buy it. As soon as I started playing with a finese and a light touch, the string and bass overall didnt sound bad at all, and the B actually stopped feeling loose and floppy. but yeah its the basses fault, why blame it on the musician when you can blame it on the bass :rolleyes: