Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz 5 strings (34"ers)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smitcat, Nov 2, 2004.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    lately i have really been favoring my fender jazz 4 string over my cirrus 5. I bought the cirrus for the sound, but the larger scale really makes the playing uncomfortable at times. I have thought about trading the cirrus in for a fender jazz 5. I do not use the b string a lot, but it would be nice to have for songs that need it. I have small hands and short arms, and have recently gotten into really trying to play, instead of just learning songs. The 34" scale seems to feel better- does anyone else feel this way???

2. the fender jazz 5's are very hit and miss IMO, ive played one too may MIA's with weak low b's and even more MIMs with even weaker b's. thats not to say there arent good ones out there, i bought my MIM because it has a killer low b. if you decide to make the switch make sure you play lots and lots of them to find out forsure, and good luck!
    b

3. I agree with B-Monkey about MIA's and MIM's being hit and miss on the Low B's

However i have noticed that the US Deluxe series has been very consistent. ive been eyeing a US Deluxe Jazz 4. but ive been trying out the US Precision Deluxe Model as well.. all great basses. all consistent through out

tomorow ill be trying a US Deluxe Jazz V.. ill come back with a mini review...

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I used to own a MIA Deluxe Jazz V....

I really liked it. I never thought anything of the B string really. I always tuned it through the body and all of the other strings through the bridge. That always kept some extra tension on the low B.

5. question Opaque,

did your jazz have a 5 in line or 4/1 headstock arrangement?

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have a Jazz V, and I'm pleased with the B. When I first got it, I put in Maysa's new CD, and played along with it. It contains alot of songs that uses the B string, and she held her own. BTW, I do agree with the hit or miss feeling.

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    5 in line. I always wanted to try out the 4 & 1s.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a passive Jazz V and I love everything about it.

9. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    This is the one you should get

10. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    That Roscoe Beck is sweet. Now just to find one to try out. Are they common to find?
    I was also thinking about conklin groove tools 5- any opinion on those?
    thanks for your help

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have to agree with you Wood" because my 97 Active 5 didn't have the so called super tight B(like my StingRay5) but what it did have was a overall tone that was never hit or miss ,but besides that when I was in the studio with it you wouldn't known that B was so called "weak or when I was playing live with it the people who were dancing gave "lest than a damn if was tight, or weak or whatever.I will say this I'm in different studios about 4-6 day's a week and I bring about 3 basses with me MTD-635(which has been sold)SR5,or Tobias(mainly this one)and the Fender Active 5 (with a passive option switch).Guess which bass is requested,and gets most of the duty ? :rolleyes:

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have all kinds of discomfort on a 35" scale. Small hands and short arms as well. I played a Roscoe LG 3005 and loved the tone but after 2 years made a move to 34". Might I recomend a Sadowsky Metro. Amazing instrument and the playability is terrific.

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I will say, I've done a lot of recording in hobbyist home studios (that's what I'm doing in my avatar), and there's nothing as reliable as plugging the Fender V into a board. In any and all recording situations, the Fender delivers instant great sound, no mods required. It's almost uncanny how well it records. The "B" on my passive Jazz V is perfect, but I play with a very light touch when I record, and a relativelyt light touch when live. I think that has more of an impact on a "B" than the bass IMO.

14. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    call me crazy, but for some reason im really digging the ibanez sr905 (bass player recently did a review on it, the les claypool issue). I had a soundgear a few years ago, and liked it, but it was one of their cheaper models. I liked the string spacing and size. Anyone else have opinions on it?

15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    In use both the Fender & Ibanez 5's. The Ibanez is like a bazooka, huge sound but very little finesse. The Fender is much more subtle.

Packing up for the gig, the Ibanez 5 goes to the funk jobs and the Fender goes to the jazz joints.

The other really big difference is the weight ... that Ibanez seems like it's twice as heavy.

16. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    i've got other 5's but the thing i really like about the fender roscoe beck 5 is that the string spacing is exactly the same as a jazz bass 4 stringer at the bridge - you'll find that most other 5's have narrower stringing - i'm not sure about the spacing of other fender 5's

where to try a RB% out - i don't know - i live in the UK and i've only ever seen one other - what its like in the US i don't know - maybe george w in his new term will make it national policy for RB5's to be more widely avaiable.

17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Jazz V is the same. At my GTG a couple months ago there were a couple Roscoe Becks and they felt eerily similar to my Jazz bass. Much different and more elaborate electronics though.

18. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you're ever in NYC, you're welcome to check mine out. (RB5 that is)

19. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    I own an american serie J-Bass 5 strings. At first I also hated the B-String, and almost regretted I bought a 5 and not a 4.

I could solve the problem by adjusting the saddle and truss rod. It took me while to find the right combination, but now it is fine, and I can play the B string without thinking about it any more.

I recently put DR strings on it, and it has increased the feeling even more. The B string is much tighter and really perfect now. I'm finally happy my Jazz is a 5er.

20. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    If your considering a jazz 5 you should own one. you can pick one up on Ebay for 600-800. Unique instrument. Own two!