Fender Jazz 5 with a 2TEK bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 15, 2001.

1. OK, I'm going bass shopping tonight and one of my top priorities is to try out the Deluxe Jazz 5 string. I have played a Standard before and it felt pretty good though the B was a little loose feeling. Of course having just recently started playing 5 string they all feel loose to me.

I have read that the 2TEK bridge can do amazing things for a bass. Are those bridges available for 5 strings? If I get a Jazz I might send it straight to the 2TEK folks for installation of a new bridge.

I've been pondering this in my head all day and one thing I've always liked about fender is the amount of aftermarket components available for them.
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

You might want to keep your eyes open for a used (because they don't make them anymore) Hamer Cruise 5 w/2Tek. Basically a US-made 5-string Jazz with a 2Tek. It got a pretty good writeup in Bass Players 5-string shootout. I tried a 4-string version once and thought long and hard about buying it (I don't know how I avoided doing so, it seems like I've bought everything else I've come across).
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    craigb speaks the truth. It can cost you as much as $300+ to have one of these bridges installed (there's only a handful of people in the country authorized to do so). You can probably pick up a Hamer Cruise 2T 5-string for $500-600. I got my 4-string for well under $500. And, it is a nice bass. Very distinctive sound - amazing sustain and you can definitely hear the independent resonance of the strings.