Fender jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErnieD, Dec 23, 2004.

1. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Though not in any detail I've seen some comments here about the 5 string Fender Jazz not being up to snuff with the overall goodness of the F-J4 stringers. Something about the B string? Can anybody comment on this? Thanks...Signed Potential F-J 5 string buyer or not :help:
  2. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    COW COOKIES !. :mad: The B string on my Fender 5 Jazz is fine.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You won't hear any complaints from me. I love my Fender Jazz V.
  4. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    My Fender Jazz V is just lovely, B-string and all!
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    There's nothing wrong with a Fender Jazz 5 but if you want the best Fender Jazz 5 then the Roscoe Beck is the ticket.
  6. the fender precision deluxe 5/jazz deluxe 5's are very nice, mia standard jazz 5's don't quite do it or me. Those 5 in line headstock's can make for very neck heavy basses.
  7. I have personally found the B to be much less defined than the other strings. It may just be the particular basses I have played. I wanted one really bad because they look awesome but I just couldn't get a sound I like from the B string. Seemed kind of floppy compared to other 34" 5 strings. This is just my personal observations. A lot of people love them.

Try one and see what you think.
  8. KSD V 60 or V 70 series 5 strings: the ones Fender should have made.
  9. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I would suggest trying one before you buy one. I had a beautiful MIA deluxe V (maple neck, natural, tort guard) that I tried to love for 3 years, but never got happy with. I even tried every kind of string I could get my hands on (TI flats were the closest). The B string was always darker, quieter, and less defined than the other three - not by a lot, but definitely different. I sold it when I got my Stingray 5.
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had an MIM one and after I got rid of the crappy Fender roundwounds it was awesome. The B was fine...not as defined as my SUB5 or Tribute L2K but it was up there. A very giggable bass. I played it in a redneck metal band and it sounded great for what we were doing. I'm sure it will sound good for any style of music. BTW...no one does sunbursts like Fender.
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My Roscoe Beck and FMT V are just fine :)
  12. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Thanks for those varied responses. Actually, even before the recent BP feature on the sadwosky Metro basses, I would love to try out a RV5. I believe I would consider selling my EB/MM Sray 5 to get one of those, maybe. It seems I would have to leave the Houston area to find one to play though. Don't think local dealers have any yet. :meh: