Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErnieD, Dec 23, 2004.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Though not in any detail I've seen some comments here about the 5 string Fender Jazz not being up to snuff with the overall goodness of the F-J4 stringers. Something about the B string? Can anybody comment on this? Thanks...Signed Potential F-J 5 string buyer or not :help:

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    COW COOKIES !. :mad: The B string on my Fender 5 Jazz is fine.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You won't hear any complaints from me. I love my Fender Jazz V.

4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    My Fender Jazz V is just lovely, B-string and all!

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    There's nothing wrong with a Fender Jazz 5 but if you want the best Fender Jazz 5 then the Roscoe Beck is the ticket.

6. the fender precision deluxe 5/jazz deluxe 5's are very nice, mia standard jazz 5's don't quite do it or me. Those 5 in line headstock's can make for very neck heavy basses.

7. I have personally found the B to be much less defined than the other strings. It may just be the particular basses I have played. I wanted one really bad because they look awesome but I just couldn't get a sound I like from the B string. Seemed kind of floppy compared to other 34" 5 strings. This is just my personal observations. A lot of people love them.

Try one and see what you think.

8. KSD V 60 or V 70 series 5 strings: the ones Fender should have made.

9. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I would suggest trying one before you buy one. I had a beautiful MIA deluxe V (maple neck, natural, tort guard) that I tried to love for 3 years, but never got happy with. I even tried every kind of string I could get my hands on (TI flats were the closest). The B string was always darker, quieter, and less defined than the other three - not by a lot, but definitely different. I sold it when I got my Stingray 5.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had an MIM one and after I got rid of the crappy Fender roundwounds it was awesome. The B was fine...not as defined as my SUB5 or Tribute L2K but it was up there. A very giggable bass. I played it in a redneck metal band and it sounded great for what we were doing. I'm sure it will sound good for any style of music. BTW...no one does sunbursts like Fender.
    -Bazz-

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My Roscoe Beck and FMT V are just fine :)

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thanks for those varied responses. Actually, even before the recent BP feature on the sadwosky Metro basses, I would love to try out a RV5. I believe I would consider selling my EB/MM Sray 5 to get one of those, maybe. It seems I would have to leave the Houston area to find one to play though. Don't think local dealers have any yet. :meh: