1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eno50, Apr 19, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    I'am looking for a 5-stringer, I'am used to playing a fender jazz for so long,And I 'am thinking about a Fender jazz 5 ,I do not care for active electronics, I like the string spacing on the jazz 5 as I see in pic's not two wide, My question is the B string on the jazz 5 any good? or should i look for a 35" scale, I hear different stories on the so called floppy B.
    Are the mexican jazz 5 hard to find used ? I'am not having any luck.
    Eno

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The B string on MIA is much better than MIM, IMO. Tension wise, they feel better.

Jazz basses are great 5 strings. I always dug the MIA P Deluxe 5'er.

3. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    they updated the bridge in 2008, supposed to be mo betta. the USA
    model was not bad to begin with...

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The Jazz 5s I've played had good B strings as long as you used a great B string like a LaBella Hard Rockin Steel 128.

The Fender Roscoe Beck 5 is even better.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a 2004 FMT V that's awesome! :D

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think the "Fender inconsistancy" issue really comes to the front when you get into B strings.

You can find great ones regardless of the point of origin. It's just a question of how lucky are you and how many you have to try.

I've played cheapo's that just killed and I've played pricey ones that didn't. Maybe they're pickey about the strings they like, maybe it's wood mojo.

Just my experience.

I wouldn't steer clear of a Fender 5 but I sure would try the heck out of it first.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've owned a 2008 American Standard Fender Jazz V for close to a year now, and I like it as much as any bass I have evr owned. For the great majority of Fender fives, set up and string choice will settle any issues you have with the B string. If you are looking at new basses, the price has really gone up lately, so be ready for sticker shock. If you go used, there are some wonderful deals to be had.:)

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    No they aren't hard to find used.

9. I've owned a 08' MIA Jazz V since June '08 and it's one of the best basses that I've ever played on. The B string is solid, no flop whatsoever. This Jazz V is what keeps me from buying any new sticks, because it sounds so good.

10. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    I owned a MIM jazz V. B string was pretty floppy. It did a decent job being a thumb rest.

11. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
    I own a MIM Jazz V, having not played any other five strings I can't really compare, but to me it feels fine. It's not flopping like a dead fish and the sound comes out just as well as the other four strings. The MIM's were only very recently discontinued, you can even find them new occasionally (as I did) and I've seen a couple floating around on craigslist and ebay.