Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz (60' Classic or Deluxe?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcap, May 16, 2002.

1. Im thinking about buying a Fender Jazz Bass but have one question. Whats the difference between the deluxe model and the 60' Jazz bass model. Is the 60' model worth the extra 100 bucks?
    Also what is pan-pot pickup switching it seems to be one of the major differences between the two?
    (As you can tell im a so called newbie)
    Thanks for the help!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The main differenceis that the Deluxe has an active pre amp. It has a volume, pan-pot pickup switching which is a pickup selector, bass contol, trebble control & midrange control. It is a really great sounding bass.

The 60's Classic is a reproduction of a 60's Jazz. Shape of the neck, pickups etc.

I've played both & their both great basses for the money.

You gotta have a BIG HOUSE to fit in Long Island New York, atlanta GA ;) Welcome to TalkBass.

3. newbalance802

newbalance802

May 16, 2002
    hey-both are good. Go with the classic and buy an outboard(used sadowsky or aguilar preamp)or go find a used american jazz bass which is better than both

4. I tried one of the 60's Classics the other day and liked it A LOT. Very nice feel and sound. IMO, this model has a sweeter and more distinct sound than the Deluxe (also, keep in mind that it might simply be the particular modles that I have tried).

Like newbalance said, if you want the active sound, you can add an outboard preamp.

5. Check out a Lakland Skyline before you buy. I have the US model and it nails the 60 Jazz to a T. The Skyline is Lakland's production model and it about the same price as Fender, which is good too. The Lakland blew me away.

6. The pre-amp on the deluxe is pretty noisy, and crappy. I get a good sounding bass out of it, you'll probably have to get an aftermarket pre-amp, a la a J-Retro ($250).

The 60's jazz will sound better, off the bat, and will have better hardware (you are getting *less* on the 60's, so its my estimation that it costs more due to better parts :p )

Or get a Fodera :D