1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz: 60's, Highway 1, or '62 RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Dec 17, 2003.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I'm thinking I need a good jazz bass. These three seem pretty close in price. MIM, MIA, or MIJ: doesn't make that much difference to me; not planning to re-sell. Just want the best bang for the buck. Opinions? Differences?

I think the Geddy Lee's neck is too slim for me and I'm looking for passive so no Marcus Miller.

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I just got a used 60's jazz - you can hear clips of it at www.basstasters.com in the strings section.

It's the loudest unamplified bass I own - and most people wouldn't call that a shoddy lineup. It's easily better tone-wise than the MIA jazz deluxe or standards I used to own, and one of those had a Aggie preamp. I wouldn't exactly say it nails the 60's tone, but it's not bright like the newer ones. A deep, rich tone, and sounds EXACTLY what you'd expect from a jazz bass. For the money, it's a great bass.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I LOVE my '62 Reissue. First bass I ever bought...and it was so long ago that I think I paid around $700 or &750 for it brand new. I'm not sure you could even bet a used one for that. I'm not sure how good of a value they are (you may be able to do slightly better in that dept.), but overall, I think they're an exceptional bass for the money. However, don't get one thinking it will sound JUST LIKE an early '60s bass. The pickups have a bit more treble/cut to them than a traditional vintage pickup...in my opinion. If you like a little more "phat" in your tone, just roll the tone knobs back a bit (I roll my bridge off more than my neck) and you're in business! :bassist: