Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz: 60's, Highway 1, or '62 RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Dec 17, 2003.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I'm thinking I need a good jazz bass. These three seem pretty close in price. MIM, MIA, or MIJ: doesn't make that much difference to me; not planning to re-sell. Just want the best bang for the buck. Opinions? Differences?

I think the Geddy Lee's neck is too slim for me and I'm looking for passive so no Marcus Miller.

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I just got a used 60's jazz - you can hear clips of it at www.basstasters.com in the strings section.

It's the loudest unamplified bass I own - and most people wouldn't call that a shoddy lineup. It's easily better tone-wise than the MIA jazz deluxe or standards I used to own, and one of those had a Aggie preamp. I wouldn't exactly say it nails the 60's tone, but it's not bright like the newer ones. A deep, rich tone, and sounds EXACTLY what you'd expect from a jazz bass. For the money, it's a great bass.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I LOVE my '62 Reissue. First bass I ever bought...and it was so long ago that I think I paid around $700 or &750 for it brand new. I'm not sure you could even bet a used one for that. I'm not sure how good of a value they are (you may be able to do slightly better in that dept.), but overall, I think they're an exceptional bass for the money. However, don't get one thinking it will sound JUST LIKE an early '60s bass. The pickups have a bit more treble/cut to them than a traditional vintage pickup...in my opinion. If you like a little more "phat" in your tone, just roll the tone knobs back a bit (I roll my bridge off more than my neck) and you're in business! :bassist: