1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz '62RI or '75RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by martin_ahm, Apr 22, 2006.

1. martin_ahm

martin_ahm

Apr 15, 2004
    Which Fender Jazz should I buy? The 62RI or 75RI?

It's the first Fender I've considered buying and I really don't know much about the differences of the basses from the 60es and 70es.

I prefer the looks of the 75RI - but I havent tried it...so I would like to know if you guys think I should ask the dealer to order one home to the store so I can try it.

About the 62RI...I think it was great! Except the looks could be better IMO. But I can live with it.:bassist:

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Go the Fender Japan route....and buy one of each! Cost you around the same for one MAI reissue!

I've got a Geddy Lee Jazz which is based off of a 70's model and a '62 Jazz fretless reissue (both Japanese). Total cost for both was around $1200.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    get the ones with maple necks+black block inlays..

mmm...yummy

4. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    Totally agree with ClassicJazz, the Fender japan basses are awesome, something about the laquer that they use just makes them feel a lot nicer.

I think its best to try them out if you can before you deicde. But if it's worth anything, I think the 75 looks way cooler :bassist:

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I think Alder and nitrocellulose is a better sounding combo than Ash and Polyester. The 62 RI would definitly be what I would choose. The Japan route is a good one too. The MIJ stuff seems to be very well made, and a great price. You could get one of each for the same price as a MIA RI. If you got the MIJ route, check and make sure you order the ones wiht either the ash or alder bodies. Some are basswood. Not as good sounding IMHO.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Japan doesn't use laquer. They use a very thick-hard Poly finish which is historically incorrect on a historically incorrect "fretless 62" jazz. I own and played vintage fenders, and the Geddy jazz doesn't feel or sound anything like a real '73 jazz. Sorry.

I'd stick with the MIA reissues. I have two 62ri J's and love them to death, and they have a nitro laquer finish which simply feels awesome in your hands. The '75ri is awesome too (which is also period correct as opposed to the MIJ one), and one day will buy one too.
    Very hard decision!

7. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Caca,

So aside from the neck on the Geddy, which was cut to match his shaved, pawnshop special, and the wiring, which is supposed to mimic his "I don't know what it is, no jazz I have played sounds like it, I wouldn't let Fender open it up and see" wiring on said pawnshop special, what doesn't feel/sound the same?? The body???

8. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Id imagine the ash+maple combo of the '75 would be brighter sounding than the '62. Also the '62 has the stacked knob vol/tone controls for each pickup rather than the 2 volumes and one master tone like on the '75.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The Poly would be historicly correct on the '75 RI. Kind of Supprised that the new MIJ 62's don't use nitro laquer. The older ones certainly did. I will say that the quality of the MIJ's that I have seen has been pretty good. Better than the new MIA standard stuff. The MIA 62 RI is VERY nice too. If that is true that the MIJ 62 RI uses poly, I'd scatch it from my list, and go for the American one.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I tried both and chose the 75.

FenderJazz002.

11. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I recently sold my MIJ '75 RI, maple/maple, white block/binding, white PG. it was a beauty, but I never played it anymore. It really got what I always thought to be "THE jazz bass sound" you could dial in anything from a serious slapping tone to a mellow fingerstyle. My only beef with it was the pups, they were kind of noisey.

edit- this is the only somewhat decent picture I have with her in it.
    DSC01780.

12. martin_ahm

martin_ahm

Apr 15, 2004
    Thanks for all the answers. I guess I'm gonna go with the MIA...but still not shure which one: 62 or 75?

I'm gonna play a lot of funk and slap...so is the 75RI better for that because of the PU closer to the bridge?

13. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I own a 62 American RI, and a real 72 Jazz, I would get the American 62, don't let the Japan fans con you otherwise. the MIA is a better bass and will hold its value for you. That said, I have played a 75 in stores, and they are also nice.

But if you go Fender reissue - Buy American.

14. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    and for slapping I would pick the 75...due to the maple, not necessarily the pickups.

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I second that. Some people are hyped up about Japanese Fender, and they are some great examples, especially fro the price, but MIAs Fenders, especially current-made ones, are the best Fenders ever made, quality-wise.

16. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Not to beat the topic to death. But even if the japan fenders are better made (I really don't know)... they will not hold their value like an american model.

That is just the way the market works these days (and prob always will in the US).

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i own a MIA '75 RI and i love the thing to death. The ash body gives it a great bright tone. With the bridge pickup closer to the bridge it gives it a little more bite that helps it cut through. My main style is funk and i LOVE this thing. I don't slap, but it would sound great on this bass. The '62 seems like a great bass to, but it would be better for beefy low end tone. The alder body gives it a warmer tone quality.

good luck, both are amazing choices

18. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I call my 62 my JPJ machine - for John Paul Jones.. Its got THAT sound.

19. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Does the 62 RI come with bridge and pick up covers?

20. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Mine did. And a cord, and a vintage strap, a plethora of extras!