1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz '66 neck construction (dots and binding)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidprice, Jan 15, 2020.

1. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Anyone familiar with these transition basses have any insight as to the originality of this neck? What throws me is the rounded end of the fingerboard. Looking online I've found some similar examples but most are flush/level. Anyone know if it was done both ways or something amiss with this one?

66 neck stamp.jpeg

2. Does the neck have oval tuners? Those go hand in glove with 1966 jazz basses

davidprice likes this.
  3. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Yes.

4. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It looks like the binding wasn't done with an arch to match the curvature of the veneer board.

5. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Agreed. Not sure if made that way or possibly a result of a refret (?) Trying to determine originality. Neck stamp looks different than some others but I know there's some variation with those.

6. Nothing seems amiss, but it's apparent that the rounded binding on the Apr 66 neck in the bottom photo has not been trimmed flat like the binding on the other two necks. Look closely and you'll see the knife marks on the other two. Notice where the top edge of the binding is in relation to the top of the truss rod screw on the necks in the top two photos, and then look at the top edge of the binding in relation to the truss rod on the Apr 66 neck in the bottom photo...

davidprice likes this.
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Lots of old Fender necks have gouged up ends of fingerboards, like if the neck has had a refret like from a bass that was from a heavy slapper, seems like sanded binding would be seen. Even gouges from players that play right over the end of the neck and dig in pretty hard chew that area up.

Dluxe and davidprice like this.