1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz: '73 Ash/Maple & '74 Alder/Rosewood - Keep 'em Both?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I picked up a '73 Jazz Ash/Maple a while ago and I just picked-up another '74 Alder/Rosewood bass a few days ago (no pics at this point, and yes, the Credit Card company is loving me right now...).

The '73 is Natural finish with Black Block inlays and the '74 is Mocha with White Pearloid inlays on the Rosewood board. Both basses are all stock, but the '74 is in slightly better conditions.

I like them both, and the intent was to sell the '73 after getting the '74, but now I’m having a hard time parting with it.

Not considering the money factor, does it make sense to keep both basses?

Should I string them-up differently to emphasize the wood/sound difference, or would that still be too subtle?

Thanks!

2. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    If you're not hard pressed for the cash, keep them both. Unless the trends change, you'll be able to sell them for more a few years down the road.

Maybe put flats on one and rounds on the other.

3. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    You should not own both. You need to sell one to me.

:D

4. You are WAY too attached to the Mocha one. Free your mind by giving it...

:ninja:

to ME.
    :D
    At least post a pic- that is the exact color/wood combination I'm dying to see.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I had a similar situation and decided to keep both. However, what I did in my ash/maple combo is put a j-retro in, badass bridge and muy grand pickups in it.

The other I kept passive and put in aero type 1 pickups. This way I have a great passive jazz bass and and great active jazz bass. My basses are '77 and '78

6. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Ok, got some pictures. Poor quality taken from my phone, but good enough to show my dilemma I think...

[​IMG]

Of course, I'm not complaining at all. I'm leaning towards just enjoying them and keeping them both :)

7. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Keep em both. And switch pickguards:)

8. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I wouldn't sell either one of them. In fact, I would buy morre.

9. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    If you can keep them because they will only go up in value unless you destroy them. As such you will make a profit. However if you have to sell sell the mocha because the ash one is freeeeking HAWT

10. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    man! that mocha/rosewood/black-guard/blocks is one of my all time favorites! whatever you do don't sell that one! or if you do give it to me! :)

11. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    dont sell either of em and dont switch the pickguards. both lovely basses. use one to hot up a bit with some hot pups, badass bridge, hipshot D tuner, u know. the possibilities are endless

12. Do this ^ :)
    Edit: & thank you for the pic- particularly of the Mocha one.
    *droooll*

13. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for all the positive replies!

I think posting here and all your replies just convinced me to keep them both for sure :hyper:

Maybe I'll take Turok's suggestion.... to buy more :help:

14. +1

placing the black pickgaurd on the '73 will change your life..!

15. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City

Blasphemy, utter blasphemy.....

16. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    LOL, that's really funny. That's how I feel sometimes about that, but I'm oddly getting used to the white... never thought that would happen and wanted to change it to black until I got the mocha bass... now the white seems right on the '73 - weird :eyebrow:

I probably will keep them both stock as possible, unless I may have the need to upgrade. Right now, both basses have stock everything (a few saddle screws on the '73 are not, but no biggie), and to top it off, the solder on the pots has never been messed with on either one!! :D

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

:eyebrow: ?? No holes drilled, active electronics, better quality bridge... more tonal options.... If I ever get rid of it, I can make it put all the parts back on it and make it a stock bass.... Oh yeah, it sounds great too!!

18. Those are both very very cool. The mochas are pretty hard to find these days, I thought they were also called "root beer". They both look like good players I wouldn't sell then now that you have them. I suspect vintage Fender basses are only going to increase in value so investment-wise I would protect and save. Now you just need an antiqua!

19. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    Put Flats on one and Rotos on the other and play the hell out of them both. they deserve it!

20. man i want that mocha!!!