1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz '75 reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monroe55, Mar 22, 2009.

1. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Why is this one of the most expensive basses fender sells? I love the way it looks and plays but what makes it so much better than their other Jazz basses? Like @1000 dollars better??? I want one so bad but cant justify that price difference. Is 1975 a year that something special occured with fender that Im not aware of?
    Second, what are the differences between Jazz and Pbass in regards to sound and feel? Why would someone choose one over the other. I want to get a Fender but cant really hear a difference when I play these two basses in crowded music stores. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. The blocked and bound neck likely adds most of the price hike.

For an answer to the "feel" part, you'll be better off going out and playing one of each. But the basic differences are the offset body and thinner neck on the Jazz.

For an answer to the sound differences, there are TONS of threads detailing the differences here on TB.

Personal preferences. Different strokes for different folks. One size doesn't fit all.

Maybe find a less crowded store to try them out in? Or a practice room?

3. the engine

the engine Guest

I have worked in a music store. I can promise you that if you are a SERIOUS buyer looking at a $1000+ bass, I will find a way for you to play it in a situation that you will find appealing. (a "back room" somewhere, after hours, etc.) Just don't ask for that kind of treatment until you have cash in hand. I've done that kind of thing before and then the guy ended up ordering about $4000 worth of gear on line. Bad form. Anyway... If you are feeling the Fender bug, just play a few. Good luck!

4. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Thanks so much for your quick replys. I know you could write an entire book answering such a broad question but I aprreciate the info. Guess I should go to the music store and wave some Franklins around to get that attention. Seems fair enough. I'll research the forums here about Pbass vs Jazz bass. Im still new here, but I F'n love this site!!!

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I'm assuming you mean an MIA reissue. I've owned a CIJ (Japanese) '75 RI that was the bees knees and paid about $750 out the door. This was around Y2K though. We all know that Fender recently upped their MSRPs.

6. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Wow! What then would you say the difference is in MIA Fender basses and those MIM or Japan?

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Right. Also the premium ash body.

8. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Great basses, had a MIA and MIJ and sold the MIA as i couldnt tell either apart.. for reference sake my MIJ now has QP's and a J retro(and has all original hardware bak on) but is my number one bass.. my advice get a CIJ iff poss a MIJ
    DSC01998.

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
  10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have the Japanese version as well. Phenomenal bass.
    Although I've been experiencing bad fret buzzing. May need to replace all my frets.

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

A big +1 on the Japanese versions. I have an older MIJ '75RI. Build quality on the Japan stuff is AT LEAST as good as the MIA stuff and a LOT cheaper ;) !

12. Quadzilla

Be sure to have a good tech look at it BEFORE you dump that cash into it. It may just need a setup or a fret leveling.

13. There's one of these in the classifieds! :ninja: :D

14. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Well, as far as I know, only the Geddy Jazz, the Marcus Miller and the MIA 75 reish have the wider pickup spacing.

I could be wrong, but that extra 1/2 inch seems to make a difference for that tone.

m

15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Just the idea that you can get a Sadowsky Metro UV70 for the same money just sickens me.

16. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    They also have to retool their machines to cut the 70's pickup positioning...i know that sounds marginal but it does have to be done...also three bolt neck another thing that has to be done in order to get that authentic 70's jazz

17. Quadzilla

FYI - since this thread was recently revived, I'm selling one of my old MIJ '75 RI basses (I have 3 of them). See classifieds. Shameless plug system now disabled. ;)

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It could just amount to running the program for the AV '75 J bodies on the CNC machine so maybe it's not too bad.

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own all three basses and you sir are correct about the spacing! The MIA 75RI bass is so expensive due to premium body requirements. The MIA basses will try to better bookmark the pieces and the body will be lighter than the MIJ/CIJ counterpart. Also the MIJ/CIJ version has different pups and electronics as well as 60's jazz spacing, believe me it makes a difference. I have also noticed the MIA 75RI basses binding covers the fret ends making any type of fret sprout a non issue! When it comes to the MIA and MIJ/CIJ versions of this bass you get what you pay for imho!

20. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The 75RI is a great bass. I've had the MIJ before, and currently have the MIA version....the MIA smokes the MIJ I had, way better pickups too.
    Not only that, the japan version is totally incorrect, wrong pickup spacing, completely wrong neck profile.

Mine (with a rosewood board) feels and plays soooooo much like my '69 Jazz it's scarry.