1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz adjustable brass nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shawn2000, May 1, 2009.

1. shawn2000

shawn2000

Mar 2, 2004
    Logan, UT
  2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    sorry idk but how does that nut work? would it fit in a mexican p bass neck with no removing of wood

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    That adjustable P-nut is manufactured by ABM. Their website is here: http://www.abmmueller.de/index2.html

You might try contacting them to see if they manufacture different sizes as well...

4. onzki

onzki

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi, help please.. I'm about to install the ABM brass nut (5mm thick) but I didn't realize that it's 2mm thicker than my stock Fender Highway One Jazz Bass nut (3mm thick).. Please advise- should I sand/file 2mm more or just buy a different nut (Graphtech Tusq)? Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. onzki

onzki

Jul 11, 2011
    Obviously, my big mistake, I didnt do my homework. I got so impulsive. I even accidentally cracked part of the fret-nut connection during nut removal. ABM is very high for jazz bass.. See photo for side by side comparison. This is in the lowest screw adjustment already :( Had to buy a Tusq instead.

Attached Files:

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Just cut the channel for the nut deeper and wider (toward the head stock) The catalog on the ABM site only lists one 4 string adjustable nut..

7. onzki

onzki

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks, that was my first thought also. However, I won't be able to revert to the standard nut in case the ABM didn't work well. I already ordered a TusqXL and hope it can help improve the tone. Thanks!

8. Seeing as the brass nut has a curved bottom, and should be flat anyway. I'd consider running it on a sander or use a file to flatten it out, that might be enough to do it. Brass is soft.

9. onzki

onzki

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought about it also.. the bottom (depth) adjustment is doable, but the issue would be more on thickness adjustment as the screw heads can't be reduced. My TusqXL just arrived, and I might try to install it first and just sell or return this ABM. I hope I am not missing a lot by not experiencing the tone this ABM offers. The TusQXL have good reviews too so I'm excited to try it. Thanks again!

10. onzki

onzki

Jul 11, 2011
    Update: Returned my brass and my black TusQ arrived. It fitted nicely, and it was easy to trim using fine sandpapper.

Please watch out though when adjusting the height, I wrongfully followed a suggestion in some forum and on youtube sanding the bottom in a flat surface to resolve height issues, and I did it, making it more difficult. So DON'T! & DON'T sand from the bottom since the nut slot base is not flat (for Fender Jazz).
    Take note that the base follows a specific curvature. It took me some time to partially recover the best curvature possible. So I suggest, for height adjustment in TusQ, if you are sanding the bottom, use a correct radius base, not a flat surface. Otherwise, the simplest way is to just file the nut slot on top.

Lastly, I want to say thank you to Arkansasmusicworks -> Stratocaster, Guitar Accessories items in ArkansasMusicworks store on eBay! . Amazing online store and support- I returned my item (brass nut). It was overseas, Hong Kong to US so finger crossed for me. But still they refunded my payment in full! Go check them out. :)

11. Oh wow, I was one of the people that steered you wrong. I didn't realize on fenders the nut slot is radiused. On the bass I replaced mine, the slot was cut flat, and I did the sanding from the bottom of the nut and it worked perfectly.

Sorry for the extra work! :(

12. onzki

onzki

Jul 11, 2011
    Oh, I'm sure it's not you. Sorry, haha. I remember it was somewhere else, and a YouTube clip of a guy installing a nut on electric guitar (not bass). But anyway, it can also mean that not all Fender jazz nut slot base are the same, maybe some flat, some curved. I'm glad it's my bass and not somebody else. It feels good to do it yourself and learn along the way. :)

DerekW likes this.