Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Aerodyne string gauge query

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by neonsun33, Feb 9, 2006.

1. neonsun33

neonsun33

Feb 9, 2006
    I have a Fender Jazz Aerodyne bass, which i got recently. I have put ernie ball 105-50 gauge strings on the bass, replacing the 100-45 fender strings that came with it. I did this as i favour the heavier gauge, but having done so, have run into some problems.

The heavier gauge first off caused a lot of rattle on the frets. i set about tweaking the setup, but have only been able to get the rattle to stop by increasing the action. The truss rod position seemed fine. Now the action is uncomfortable and the beautiful playability is not there.

What i want to know, are heavier gauge strings just not able to be put on this guitar without causing major problems to the action/setup?

Need to know whether i should move back to 100 gauge or to try and set it up for 105s the best i can?

2. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Just have someone who actually knows what they are doing (Like a pro shop) set up the bass for you.

If you havent tried dropping the saddles down yet i would try that to

Plus ditch the Ernie Ball strings. They are the worst strings i have ever used. Get some DLs or my personal fav are the Fender Superbass Strings

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Heavier gauge strings put more stress on the neck.

Where exactly do you get the fret buzz from? It may be a relief issue, which would mean a truss rod adjustment...especially since you're putting more stress on the neck.