1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz American Deluxe V Buzz...is the preamp or pickups?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lukiluk, Feb 22, 2016.

1. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    Hi,
    I know you talked a lot about this topic ... but I ask the owners of the bass ... I shielded the bass but continues to be a slight buzz in active mode especially in recording ...
    You solved by changing the pickups or preamp?
    Thank you

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

3. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    when i touch the string, the buzz go away...but the bass is fully shield

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Check the ground wire coming from the bridge but it sounds like your bass requires shielding. Noise that stops when you touch metal/strings/bridge indicates RF interference which is remedied by shielding. Did you ground all the shielding? Did you shield the pickup covers?

5. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    I shielded all the cavities and connected to the ground..why pickup cover?

6. DiabolusInMusic

I find some basses do not get silent until I shield the pickup covers. Some folks do not do this as they feel it impacts the tone but I have never noticed a difference. If there was a difference it was not nearly as noticeable as all the RF interference, so the trade-off is worth it to me. This may be your issue but the shielding may be off elsewhere. Do you have a meter to check for continuity across the shielding? Did you use conductive paint or copper tape? Does your copper tape have conductive adhesive?

7. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    ok...
    I use copper tape and adesive is conductive
    there is continuity across the shielding
    how can I shield the pickup cover? do you have a pic to see?
    however the pickups are the N3...
    there are too much post that talk about the noise issue

8. DiabolusInMusic

Click the link in my signature, everything I know about shielding is in that thread including the pictures you seek.

The N3 pickups are humbuckers so they are noiseless but they only address 60hz noise. You are experiencing RF interference. While the two noises sound similar they are treated differently and one solution does not work for both issues. RF interference is addressed through shielding and 60hz is addressed through humbuckers.

9. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    But do you think if i shield the pickup covers could solve the issue?

10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Take a jumper wire with "alligator clips" and connect on end to the cover and the other to the bridge or other know ground . That way yo will know quickly if that works or not

lukiluk likes this.