Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz American Deluxe vs MM Sterling vs GL L-1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Human Bass, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    In Brazil i had no options at all, here in in North America is the opposite! Im in doubt between those 3 beauties....

what i like about the jazz is that have 2 pups and graphite reinforcement is always welcome

I know that the Sterling has a very good construction and the hum-free pup with the 3 coils config seems very versatile. I also like the shape of the body.

the GL has the best bridge and from what i heard the neck is very reliable, I only hear great things about MF pups and seems pretty cool to have a active/passive option.

so...:help: :confused:

2. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I have a sterling and a G&L JB-2 which is their jazz bass. It is by far my favorite. Plays like the sterling but has a fuller sound. Where in Brazil are you from?

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Three great basses. Pick the one that you are the most comfortable with.....

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im from Recife (bigcity from the northeast). The problem is not to be a brazilian, but to be a lefty brazilian :smug:
    Well, is you JB-2 rosewood or maple? And those vintage pups sound good? I love jazz basses but when i saw that the only GL bass without MF pups i got a bit worried about it.

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Well, im lefty...so the stores never have any of the basses in the place...by the way, which one can have the lowest action?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IME, Musicman basses are able to have the lowest action. I definitely rule the fender out, because the fretjob on a sterling is much better.. also IME.

My sterling has lower action than any other production bass ive played.

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Now we are starting to talk!! Tell me about the bridge, that 2 "cointaners" holds the saddles right? It really improves the intonation and sustain?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The bridge is great, easy to adjust, doesnt move once you set it where you want, good sustain, good mass for slapping.

9. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I am a lefty also. The sterling has a little bit lower action then the JB-2 but they both have great action. The JB-2 has a full fat sound where my sterling has a more in your face brighter sound. The more I play the JB the more I like it. the pickups are great. Both are great basses. It will probably come down to personal taste.

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I've just read that the L-1500 is heavy (10 pounds) so I think I will choose the Sterling with rosewood fingerboard (i dont want overly bright). And I also like the fact that the heel is sculpted..but wait, tihs sculpted heel really makes the acess easier or it is like the Yamaha BB i've played that the heel was sculpted in a way that didnt help in nothing?

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    American Deluxe Jazzes are terrific basses. Excellent fretwork on mine, and I am old enough to have played plenty of basses at this point... :p

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe it helps a bit. Fret access is fine, all teh way up.

13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Those samarium-cobalt pickups seem cool...but i would replace the bridge for a BadAss 3. The only Fender bridge that i like is that one used in the Dimension and Big Block P.

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've been looking into the L-1500 lately, and the sample I played wasn't heavy. Felt lighter than my Am. Ser. Fenders, but I'm sure there's lots of variation. Some are alder, and some swamp ash, for example. I think it's a fantastic bass, with lots of versatility for a single pickup. It's general attitude is very aggressive, but it has a little bit of vintage warmth in there (Leo's legacy I guess). The preamp is a bit noisy with the treble on full. But the tone controls work in passive mode too, which is a big plus.

15. I just bought a Sterling yesterday after playing a a number of Jazz-style basses. I'll pick it up later this week and I can't wait. But I agree; whichever bass you're most comfortable with is the one you should buy. All three will give you excellent tonal variety so the 'feel' becomes the most important point.