fender jazz american deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Mar 12, 2006.

1. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    what do you have to say about this bass?
    i would like to some information....sound...electronic....
    thank you for your help
  2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I love mine. It is a 2002 with the 18 volt preamp and noiseless pickups. Fast neck, nice fretwork, excellent fit and finish. The body is smaller than a regular Jazz with 22 frets. Plenty of sounds are possible. The midrange control has to be used sparingly or it sounds unnatural to me. I like it best with both pickups on and the controls set flat, or a slight bass boost. :)

Attached Files:

• Jazz.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
  3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm not a maple board guy, but I keep my 2005 am dlx
    jazz V, because its so nice. Light weight, sustains for
    days, best factory frett work I've seen, and lots o tone
    options. Dead quiet! The only thing I'm not knocked out
    with are the tuners. The're just ok. A killer bass at the price.
  4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I bought one 2 weeks ago!! Those SCN pickups are amazing, the neck is fast and comfortble, great balance, no neck dive. The only complain is that the heel is not sculpted as Fender claims.
  5. I've got one on order. The time I played one in the shop informed me that the tone was more clear and defined than the mexican deluxe model. I love the simplicity of the American Standard's passive tone, but the American Deluxe definately shades it out in terms of slap tone and versitility. I can't wait!
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Human Bass-The heel is sculpted on mine. What year is yours? :confused:
  7. My old teacher has one.

They're really solid basses, as is the whole Deluxe line. They're really versatile, powerful and seriously well playing basses.

You can't go wrong!
  8. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    another question about this bass.....
    there is a guy that proupose me a trade with my lakland 5502
    it ' s s crazy thing accept?
    what do you think?
  9. Have you played a 55-02? It's a very different bass to your Am. Dlx. Jazz. I love my Am. Dlx, it's the second one I've had. The first was a 1999 5 string, and my current one is a 2002 FMT 4. Incredibly nice basses with absolutely killer tone. My 2002 has a sculpted heel, and the Schaller tuners it has are great.
  10. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I play a 2004 American Deluxe with the QMT option. All I can add to this discussion is to state that it is the finest Jazz I have ever played....I love it!
  11. i love mine. i have rosewood fretboard and i love the active 3 band eq. gets that nice growly tone and can slap like a monster! 2 of my favorite tones in one bass. i couldnt go wrong with this thing
  12. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    They'e damn good basses. Not that far from Sadowsky's IMO + they have the mids that the Sadowsky doesnt have
  13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I guess I have a couple of Fender dlx jazz basses, I've got a newer FMT with SCN pups in it (woo hoo) I had a 98 dlx with the Suhr pups in it and only sold it because I had many other active jazzes, it only had a 9 volt preamp and I needed the money! I also have a Victor Bailey (in a class by itself!!!!!) And last but not least a MIM dlx jazz. The MIA stuff is top notch and will cover any and all bases, The preamps are cleaner then in the past (18 volts?) I think any Fender lover should have at least one of these in their arsenal! I just happen to have a few!
  14. I played one with the Ash wood body...WOW! What a great bass. It played nice and sound was very full without the noise that I've experienced with passive J basses. Spectors are my favorites basses, but that American Deluxe would be my first choice in Fender J basses.

Paul Mac
  15. I really enjoy mine but I am a passive guy. Mine tends to have a weak output and an active-y tone, which doesn't always fit with the rock I play with my main band. Granted, I served me well with that band for over 2 years. It is a terrific fingerstyle bass and I love the modern tone it gives me for that application. I still play it today because it feels good and sounds great. Overall the fit and finish is great, especially on factory-fresh ones - Fender actually takes very good care of these!
  16. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I always have a fender american deluxe jazz bass on hand. I have two customs, and am looking to get a ritter, but I still love my american deluxe jazz. For the money, I don't think that there are many basses out there that can beat it.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got a couple of 'em. One is a '94, with the Kubicki electronics, stacked pots, and no pickguard. My latest one I bought used from GC. It's an '01 in the transparent teal. Nice bass. I may want to change the pickups for something a little hotter.

They both are very versatile basses.
  18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    No you don't!! - it's a Jazz Plus V.

Sheesh, you think after someone passes 10,000 posts they can simply make up model designations.

...oh, they can? My bad.
  19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    they are really, REALLY nice basses!
  20. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I love my 2004 MIA Deluxe 5. Black with Maple Board. The pre amp is superb and is by far the most versatile bass I own tonewise. Fretwork is excellent and the feel of the rolled edged fretboard fits me like a glove. Excellent sustain and presence. For its price I would thoroughly recommend it.