1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz : American standard/Deluxe/Custom shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yamaha, Sep 15, 2010.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I own 3 American Standard basses. I am keeping my favorite Jazz, and selling the other 2 (a P and another passive Am Jazz). I will then get myself another Jazz bass. Jazz basses are my thing.

Was looking into G&L JB Jazz, or American deluxe.

The American Deluxe are very very nice basses (I tried a few), but I am not completely in love with the available finishes, nor the binding (I prefer no binding).

I have been seeing quite a few sub 2000$ Custom shop Fender Jazz basses recently. I will probably never be able to try one, but they are gorgeous, seem a step up from Standards & Deluxes, and are not much more expensive.

Any thoughts.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The CS stuff is definately a notch above the Deluxe models, and those are pretty nice. I'm a big fan of the Am Dlx series, especially the P, (which now has a Jazz pup at the bridge). I've never seen or played a fender CS bass that wasn't superb.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Seems I might be on to something with the CS. Thanks.

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Any other thoughts, thanks

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    AV'62RI JBASS is somewhere between MIA Dlx and CS.

6. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I own a custom shop bass and it is a very well made instrument. It performs just as you would expect a custom bass to perform, flawlessly. It has never let me down. Good luck with your decision.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm also a fan of the older American Deluxe Jazz basses. Most of the ones I've played have been light weight, solid, easy to play instruments. I love the rolled fingerboards, like the early Fenders had. Makes playing a 19mm spaced five string easier for my small hands.
    I just had the neck on my 04 Am Dlx J V, reshaped a little. This is now the best modern Fender I've played. The SCN pickups are winners as well.

8. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
    Had a 2000 Am Dlx Jazz and it was a beautiful looking and playing instrument. Well made, light and felt great. It was stolen and I got a 2009 Custom Classic. As you would expect, every bit as nice to the touch and sight, (same Noiseless pickups) but it just sounds better. Rings out and more depth, clarity and evenness to the tone. I'm of the belief that part of buying a Custom Shop bass is that your chances of getting a great sounding instrument go up exponentially. One note - after having each for several weeks, I did have to dress the fret edges down. Maybe it had something to do with the wood acclimatizing to the dryness here.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Curious which dimensions were reshaped, width? front to back? I've been down that road, curious how yours turned out.

10. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was very lucky. I'm near enough to Carey Nordstrand, and he agreed to reshape the rather bassball bat like neck on my 04 Am Dlx J V. Its just so stupid nice now, I can't believe it. I just told him to shape the way he wanted. I know he took some off from front to back as well as the shoulders. He left the fingerboard alone, so its slightly darker than the back of the satin neck. It looks like binding on the sides.

When I consider how much I paid for this slightly used bass, and the cost of the neck reshape, this bass is an amazing deal. I'd put it up against any Fender type boutique bass out there.

11. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I recently picked up a Fender Custom Shop Deluxe Jazz. It is an amazing instrument.

I've looked for my Jazz for a long time and in fact have gone through three. Not because of GAS, but because there had always been something not quite right. So instead Ive been playing my EBMM, and Lakland.

The custom classic custom shop American deluxe jazz has solved all that for me. Right now it is my favorite instrument and I suspect it's going to stay that way for quite a while. The feel is superb, the sound is superb, the craftsmanship is superb, and it's still a J bass in every way.

12. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Hey that's great that it turned out so well, no surprise because Carey did it. I had both of my AD's necks reshaped and they are really excellent instruments. I agree about the SCN pickups, they sound excellent. After I got my first Fender ADV, eventually all the boutique basses in my stable were sold.

But I'm hoping to get my hands on a 2010 and check out the new asymetrical necks and compound radius :bassist:

13. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Unfortunately, the neck profile is about the only thing I like on the new (2010) ADV's. I'm not a fan of the bigger, heavier bodies or the new pickups, which I think sound thinner than the SCN's, especially in passive mode. Actually, I thought the passive mode was more for emergencies judging from the output and tone in passive mode.

I believe in coming years, the older ADV's are going to become very popular on the used market. Total pro basses.

14. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    veeeeeeeeery interesting. Thanks much for the comment. I'm not wild about a heavy bass at all and the SCN pickups get me where I need to go tonally. Thanks again.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021