1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz american std 5v or EBMM Stingray Classic 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by solidmaui78, May 31, 2011.

1. solidmaui78

solidmaui78

May 30, 2011
    Ive been looking to get a new bass and have been looking at a Fender American Std Jazz 5v and also the new MM Classic 5. Im used to the neck on my Warwick corvette 5 and love the neck on my Modulus flea 5. Its hard to decide cause I cant just go and try it as Maui only has 2 stores and they only stock cheaper brands. What would be a better choice all around?
    Thanks
    The new Zon looks interesting too for an import

2. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I'd definitely go for the Fender American Standard Jazz V. There's a really nice one in the classifieds, and I hear the seller might be willing to ship to the Islands... :D

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's an "apples and oranges" kind of choice, for both the tone and the feel. I'd say if you like the feel of your Warwick you'd might prefer the Musicman. If you're not crazy about it but are just used to it, then you might want to consider the Jazz.

The other consideration is tone. An American Standard Jazz would have a more "vintage" tone and the Stingray would give you a more "modern" sound (a simplification, but generally true).

Both are versatile, well made basses basses and you really can't go wrong with either. If the combination of tone and feel of either fits you, then go with that one. If not, try either and make use of the return window if you need to, assuming you buy from a place like Musician's Friend with a generous return policy.

4. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    My vote is for the Ray.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    This topic is 4000 years young here on Talkbass and you won't get a consensus. Buy both.

6. solidmaui78

solidmaui78

May 30, 2011
    I wish we had more places to try out a bass and decide... The basses I have were all bought online except the warwick which I got as a payment.

Maybe buy from musicians friend and return if not satisfied?

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Fender Jazz has excellent resale value, easier to sell probably if it's not a fit for you. Just my two cents.

8. dmot002

dmot002

Nov 12, 2010
  9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Man, those roasted necks are sexy! :eek: