1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender jazz american vintage '74 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xkomo, Mar 30, 2013.

1. xkomo

xkomo

Feb 6, 2011
    Greece
    I was looking at the new American vintage series, they look great, especially the white 74 jazz with the rosewood board.
    I have one question though. Does it worth the extra money, almost 1000 euros more than the American std?
    What is the difference between the vintage and std?
    The woods quality, the construction or something else?

2. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Musicians Friend has it here in the states for $2400.00 I am simply NOT going to pay that kind of money, because I believe / know I can get an original (even with a genuine road worn finish which I LOVE) for that same money..

3. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    There are two threads. Look up Fender New American Vintage Waiting room. It has been discussed at great length.

If you want the short answer, it is , "it depends."

I swapped the 63 P for my avri 62. Cash offset was about 600.00. To me it was worth it. The instrument feels different.

4. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    The biggest difference is going to be in the neck profile. The 74 RI has a classic 7.25" radius and a fairly thick U shape neck (Am STD has 9.5" radius and a much thinner profile from front to back). The pickup spacing is also different, with the 74 bridge pickup being 1/2 inch closer to the bridge. The new American Standards are shipping with Custom Shop pickups, don't know how much different they are than the vintage 74 RI pickups.

I played a 74 RI and it was nice, but for that kind of money you can find a real 1974 Jazz Bass, or something close in vintage.

5. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If it was a choice between an original and a reissue I would go for the reissue every time.

6. xkomo

xkomo

Feb 6, 2011
    Greece
    And why is that?

7. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Because I've owned them all. Owning a vintage bass is like gambling, sometimes you get lucky, but even then after some time in your ownership it can develop a problem that can't be fixed, because it's old, adjustment is limited, the wood has compressed in vital areas. Maybe you'll be the guy who buys it after the previous owner has given up. :meh:

With a reissue you get none of these problems. You start fresh and you're the first owner. Pickups are new and sound great, the construction is miles away better, the warranty...etc etc...

8. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Oops...misread the OP...sorry. Those things still apply though, just not in this thread!

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am the complete opposite. My early '70s basses are killer. They sound as good as any pre-CBS as well as any 2008+ American Standards.

I would only agree with you if buying basses sight unseen. QC is much better now than 40 years ago at Fender.

Also, the new '74 Vintage is overpriced IMO.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've seen then selling for $2199.00.
    MF should match that price.

11. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I've had so-so experiences with '70 j basses, but those I attribute to my only being able to afford one under a certain price point. :oops:

I still prefer a new bass over an old one when all things are considered. Unless it's my own of course. :bassist: