fender jazz and slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moxa13, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    I hope this will be considered the right form. I use to own a fender standard jazz, and I have noticed this on other mim jazz as well. When slapping on the e string, it tends to hit the pickup. Does any body else have this problem? I know it could be just "user" error. :)
    It is just I have seen this on other mim jazz basses, and I do not have this problem. With other non-fender standard basses. I replaced the bridge on mine, but it did not help much. This has made me reluctant to try Fender again. Input?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You can adjust the height of the pickups. I would recommend that.
  3. Maybe you aren't slapping at the right place. Ideally, you should slap on the last fret. Slapping past the fretboard may cause the string to hit the pickups. Try that, and if it doesn't remedy the problem, pickup height may be the source.
  4. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's just awareness of where the pickups are. For the longest time I would mute with my right hand by pushing right over the neck pickup (it was just natural to roll back that way when slapping) and it would make that clicky noise. I didn't even notice, but my guitar player did. Just took a couple weeks of remembering not to do that to make it habit.
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yeah, I can't play a jazz with the pickups at what seem to be 'standard' height. I'm not about to adjust my half assed technique, down the pickups go... I like the sound of a jazz with the neck pickup down low and both on full anyways. (almost rethinking buying that maple4 cirrus instead of a maple fretted jazz). :(