1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass 1968-69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pepelaici, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Hi guys
    Here is the second individual post!
    Fender Jazz Bass 1968-69 Sunburst...
    This is a typical example of Leo's tradition during the first years of the CBS era !!!
    I think that this bass is an icone of the most glorious time of the history of the Rock & Roll...
    This bass features an almost erased date at the end of the neck, where you can hardly read "1968" . Potenciometres have been made in 1967.. as well as the microphones...
    But I think the instrument was assambled by 1969.
    It's very difficult to exactly date the instruments of those years...
    Let's see the pictures:
    http://gs107.photobucket.com/groups/m303/ELIPYLCKWQ/?start=all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Questions ????

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Yes, how can we solve this economic crisis?

3. I'll ask the wise guys in Wall Street... If they don't give me a solution... I'd propose suicide !!!

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Very nice, I have a '69 like it.

Yours is defintely a 1969. The pickups were usually the last dated item on these, and your pickups are dated 1969. Also '69 had the black and white wiring, where 68 had a mix of cloth covered and other colors of plastic covered wiring, like green.
    I see your pots are the typical 1376642, that are dated '66 just like all the basses from 66-69 are wearing the 66 pots.

The only question I have is, where the paint is chipped away, is that white primer I see or wood surface?

-Mike

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    A valiant effort, but as I said yesterday, I don't think you can top yesterday's '65 P.

So... tell me about the price of plane tickets to Switzerland again... and let's talk a little more about your home security system... :ninja:

Very well done. I look forward to tomorrow's bass.

6. nice axe man. just beautiful. i have a 69 Jazz as well and love it. don't they just play themselves :)

7. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Cool, an old beat up Jazz Bass!

8. I've started with the finest...
    The last ones won't be the least !!!
    I undertand that the PB 65 is something special...
    But I love the others too...

If you plan to breck into my house... let me a couple of weeks in order to raise the value of my my axes with my insurance agent... It can be a good deal after all !!!

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I prefer the pre-block/binding era... I don't like the feel of the binding - but that's just me.

10. Nice to meet an expert.... In fact I thougth it was a 69...
    Where the paint is chipped away.... On the edges there is a white like blonde color or ols olympic White use as 1st coat before the black... to the center... You'll see the wood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Wow....just wow! :)

12. I'd like to get a 61 "slab board" "stack knob" Jazz Bass... But... I have to admit that they are "a bit" too expensive !!!

13. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My '69 neck with it's binding worn to a very rounded edge is the most comfortable neck to hold in your hand. It's about as round as a hard boiled egg.

headband likes this.
  14. I agree with you...
    BRGDS Pepe

15. I've got a picture of my JB with her first owner !!!
    arround in year 1970
    [​IMG]

I took the train in a snowy day to go and fetch it !!!
    [​IMG]

16. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    That's a great pic...

17. I sold my '68 Jazz as it was 'too new'.
    It didn't play as well as older basses and the 'burst looked too bright.
    There's one on the bay for $9K . . . . .

Attached Files:

18. Do you mean 9000 dollars ?????

19. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma

The pic you posted is an early '66. Early 66's had binding with dot inlays. From mid '66 and later had block inlays.

20. Thanks for that - it doesn't make me feel any better about not keeping it an extra 40 years tho'! Maybe '68 was when I bought it.
    I remember I didn't like it much as a friend had an older one that looked and played much better. '66 eh? hmmm

The bay is $9K Australian btw - the exch rate isn't 0.95 any more dammit . .
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-1968-Jazz-Bass-Original_W0QQitemZ330313203899