Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass 1972 - Crime scene investigation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoanG, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JoanG

JoanG

Jun 6, 2005
    Hello guys,

I'm about to purchase a '72 Fender JazzBass.
    I have some questions on how the validate the authenticity of the bass.

I'm pretty sure about the neck of the bass (stamped Jan72, 4bolt-connection, bigF-neckplate) and the pickguard.

But I'm a bit uncertain about the body. It's been refinished (not a real problem to me), but it seems fairly lighter than my 1996 USA JazzBass. Also it doesn't have any drilled holes near the bridge to connect the bridge pickup cover (who are included). Off course these might be filled during the refin.

Any information about the type of wood used and weight of this basses ?

Thank You.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey Joan,

I have a 73 Precision that's a sunburst and its also very light. I believe the body would be either Alder or Ash depending upon the original finish...so its hard to tell. They certainly could have filled the holes for the covers. Is there any of the original spray in the control cavity or neck cavity?

3. JoanG

JoanG

Jun 6, 2005
    Thank you guys for your information

Very much appreciated !

Joan

4. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I have a '72 Jazz and it is very light compared to my '77 and all my other basses. So it could be a original! Or i'm screwed too!

5. i'm not sure about this, but i thought that the earlier jazz basses' bridge pickups were closer to the bridge - i'm sure someone out there knows...