1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bass 24..... MAJOR disappointment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miketallica315, Jul 28, 2012.

1. miketallica315

miketallica315 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hey all,
    I have to tell you of my most recent purchase. For the longest time I have wanted a Fender Jazz Bass 24 and I almost never see them on eBay and when Guitar Center gets one in, it's gone as quickly as it came and it is going to be a while before you see another one again. I found one! I wanted the quilted sunburst finish, but was more than happy to receive the quilted cherry sunburst. I ordered it on Wednesday and it came Thursday, that never happens!!!! (To me at least) I took it out of the box and everything looked great. It was almost mint! The action was fairly higher than I cared for, however, I wasn't going to do anything with it because I was going to restring it with a new set of my particular brand of strings. After cleaning it and waxing it, shining up the frets and conditioning the fingerboard with my favorite brand of lemon oil, I put my set of strings on it. I like to string my basses through the body, if they provide me with that option, and this bass did allow for through body stringing. After I tuned it up it needed a set up.... badly. The action had become much higher. No problem I thought... I have done all of my own set ups for years. "It's no problem" I said..."I can take care of this"... I started with the bridge because the neck had looked pretty good, needing only minor adjustment if that. After setting the bridge saddles to the radius of the board all hell broke loose. It was clear to me that the neck was going to need to be adjusted. I found the correct size allen wrench..... "Oh no!" I said to myself... It was stripped out. Being optimistic, I thought perhaps I didn't have the right size wrench. I immediately took it to Guitar Center in Toledo, OH where I was told that the tech was on vacation until Tuesday and until then there was nothing that anybody could do for me per company policy. They did at least take a look at it and that was where I also learned that the neck wasn't set right and that it needed shimmed along with the truss rod nut. I asked if they thought if I should return it. I was told that it might be fixable and to hang on until Tuesday morning when the tech returns. I really want to keep the bass if it can be fixed. Another store has the exact same bass for just about $25-50 more. I keep thinking to myself to just return it and get that other one. Anyways.... I love the bass. I am just very disappointed. What do you guys think? I understand that I am the only one that can make the decision. What would you do?

2. belafonte

belafonte

Jan 14, 2010
    I would have returned it yesterday.

3. If I was in that situation, I would go check out the other one and give it a THOROUGH inspection. If it has no issues, I would get it and return the first one.

Doesn't GC have a pretty generous return policy?

4. miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Are these repairs that a good tech can easily make?

5. miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Unfortunately, the other bass is in Maryland. I would have to ask all of the questions over the phone. GC has a 30 day return policy. Like I said, if the tech can fix it, I would really prefer to keep it. If he can't fix it, or tries to charge me for it (which I was told that it could be a possibility) they can take it back and I will just get something else.

6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    This ^ ^ .

7. Oh.

By "stripped out" do you mean the threads on the nut and rod are stripped, and turning the nut does nothing?
    Or do you mean that the nut's hex fitting is rounded, and you just can't get a hex wrench to grip?

If the threads are stripped, you may need both rod and nut replaced.

If just the nut is just rounded, it needs replaced. Just need a tool to remove the rounded nut.

8. belafonte

belafonte

Jan 14, 2010
    Someone jacked around with it hard enough to strip the nut. Who knows what else they did to it.

9. Return.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Return it, if this neck turns out to be unfix-able in the future you will be seriously out of luck. Finding a compatible neck for a Jazz 24 is next to impossible. In fairness; this is really not a Fender jazz 24 issue per se, it could have happened to any bass.
    BTW I own a Fender jazz 24 and I ended up putting an MTD 24 fret neck on it. Love that bass

11. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I don't know how the people at GC would know that the neck needs to be shimmed. That would not be possible to determine until a good truss rod adjustment. If the nut is stripped, not the thread, it's not a huge deal to replace the nut. I'd say GC should do that for you for free, otherwise I think I'd just return the bass. Until you can adjust the truss rod, it's hard to know what else, if anything, will need to be done to the bass.

Good luck. I know this is a pain when you've been looking hard and long for a "dream" bass. Remember, though, there certainly are other 24s out there if this one doesn't work out. :)

12. miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    The nut has become slightly rounded. You can still see some of the angles like it should have had. Somebody obviously didn't know what they were doing when they took a wrench to it. They were probably too forceful with it and didn't use the correct size. This is more than likely why someone returned or traded the bass in. Other than this issue.... it's flawless. My friend/guitar player laughed at me when I said that. He said " it's in perfect shape other than the fact that you can't play it...." Yes, I have a $400.00 knick-knack.
    Again, because I didn't receive much help yesterday, I am still hoping that perhaps I just don't have the right size wrench... But then reality kicks in and I ask myself "Why would Fender make a bass that doesn't use standard metric wrench sizes"?...

13. WHAT!??

That's why if I ever buy a brand new bass, I'll either handle it first in-store or order it from a Mom&Pop that is an authorized dealer. I ordered a Squier SS Jag that way and they gave it a set up NO CHARGE prior to me even being notified of its arrival. A $169 bass with a free set up.

I know not everybody has Mom&Pops around. One good thing about that two-headed monster's inception is that Mom&Pops were forced to match online prices. I find that better customer service comes along with that also.

I have had good CS experiences at GC also, but fewer in comparison to how many times I've been there, not to mention how much $$ spent.

Simply return it for a full refund. If they won't fix it for free, don't even let them have the initial sale. Go today.

14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Return it ASAP! This thing is going to bite you in the a@#.

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I would return it. If the truss nut is that mangled, who knows what saps the actual truss rod is in. Any neck issues, even small ones, are always a deal breaker for me. More often than not, they get progressively worse as time goes on. Remember, at the end of the day, it's still just a piece of wood and once it's been compromised, there is rarely an option to make it better without replacing it entirely.

16. Return that sucker.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That mom and pop's store is probably suffering badly if they are willing to give you a free setup on a $170 bass. You need to buy a professional level guitar for them to set it up for a reason. They have to pay somebody to set up that guitar.

On a $170 bass the store clears maybe $30-40, you factor in a $20 setup, assuming his rates are dirt cheap, you just went through a couple hours of effort for about $20....

There is a reason they are willing to do anything the customer asks, because like you said, they have to match online pricing. Do you think they buy them at the same rates as MF or GC? Not likely, not even close probably.

18. I thought they use American sizes.

19. I had one of these instruments. My first specimen had very similar issues, so I returned it, and got a replacement that did not, and played beautifully. It really was Fender a la Ibanez, and was a main player for 2 years. It was at the end of that 2 year period that I played my first G&L...no looking back. I do miss having all 24 frets, and would love to see Fender revive this model.

20. Yes. Not a big deal.