Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass 24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, Dec 19, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

I'm thinking of saving up for one of these... none in my area unfortunately. This one is 1000+ km away :(

So... has anyone played this bass? Reading up on harmony central one guy had a problem, but 4 others said 9/10 or 10/10 overall.

From Fender.com -
    I can get it for about 1280 AUD, which is 20% off RRP.

It sounds like a good deal - Quilted Maple Top, 24 frets, Basslines active with midscoop and hipshot tuners - the only thing I'm worried about is its made in Korea.

So... thoughts?

2. korea is where most ibanez's are made and they are all very good basses

lowsound

3. I've tried it a little bit.. so don't take my word for it.. but it was actually pretty good.. kinda startled me :/

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    a) It doesn't sound like a Jazz. It has a tone of it's own. It has loads of bottom and great highs but not as growly (there I used the G word).
    b) It doesn't feel like a Jazz. It's more compact and of course the neck is different.

Having said all that, I love mine.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

I feel the exact way (except I don't have one).

It doesn't sound or feel like a jazz, but if you want that classy jazz shape + classy quilt top + a non-jazz sound, that's a helluva way to go.

6. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Finally Fender made a decent bridge

7. any sound samples to go by?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    http://www.alvarfamily.com/more.mp3

Gear: Fender Jazz 24 and some effects>Presonus Inspire 1394>my laptop>Cubase LE

Center: The guitar chord like sound was made by BSW> Line 6 MM4 ring modulator> CEB3. The bass line had all highs and lows rolled off and mids scooped and was ran through the MM4 Jet Flange model. I was a little off time at first too.

Right: The bass balls like sound are actually the MM4 phaser (MXR 90)> CEB3 in "Uniboss" mode. I only recorded the highs of the Boss' output.

Left: The bass chord like sound that repeats over and over are Whammy (5th up)> Digidelay (in tape mode). You may not hear this track if you listen through laptop speakers.

Drum machine: Alesis SR16.

9. got a clean sample?

10. I must say that since aquiring mine it hasn't bumped my Geddy Lee as my main bass (is it weird to use a passive as your main instrument?) but it is none-the-less a great instrument.

I think the EQ could stand to be a bit better but other than that I love it from the Bass Line pick ups to the Hipshot Ultralites.

11. actually these bridges are from 94 or 95 when fender made the Jazz Bass Plus.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender makes plenty of decent bridges.

This bass is a "Jazz Bass" in name only. It does not play, sound, or feel like what you would think of as a traditional Jazz Bass. If you're expecting a beautiful rich figured maple top think again. The top is pretty, but is a paper thin laminate. I tried this bass in a store and it played nice and sounded very "hot". I didn't like it at all personally, but you might if you're looking for a nice hot active jazz-style bass.

13. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

I've played that very bass at teh bass centre!

i thought it was cool. doesn't sound like a true passive jazz or even a mexidelux... more agressive... i'm not a huge fan of the duncan pickups, i think they are quarter pounders, a bit boomy and harsh. i thought the quality and look of the bass was very good. it felt good to play. good price i reckon!

14. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    they should make this one as their standard

15. yeah.. I though really like the new badassIII..

16. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    great bridge for sure...but isnt made by Fender, so it is impossible to become the standard

17. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I like these instruments, and would have been more interested in them , except that the two I played both had twisted necks. Perhaps, that was due to the climate here in AZ.

Regarding the tone, had I found one that had a straight neck, I would have simply jerked the active circuitry out and re-fitted with the stock passive set-up, including pups. This is a totally inexpensive way to get the traditional tone. I'm not sure why so many people bust on the tone for these, when it can be so easily modified. This seems like a trivial point. I'd have been a LOT more concerned about dead spots and such, which I didn't find at all on the instruments I played.

IME the few extra notes are useful for certain chart heads and well known parts. I like the design, if not the execution. I wish Fender would do something better with it.

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I liked the one I played. Quite a forward high-fi sound, but not unpleasantly so. Not a vintage sound though.

You should definatley do a search on this forum as this bass was extensively discussed when it first came out earlier this year.

19. I can't really see any threads, I get like 1000 Fender Jazz threads, the "24" in the search doesn't seem to effect it at all.

Again, a Clean sample of this would really, really make my day.