1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz bass 24V problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassix, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    I just bought a new Fender Jazz 24 5-string and I really love it! However, it has a design flaw that I hope can be corrected. The reason I bought this bass is that it has a wider than normal string spacing. 2" at the nut! It has Basslines passive single coil pickups that are spaced for 19mm right hand spacing. However, the proprietary bridge that Fender stuck on this bass seems to be designed for wider spacing that that. If you look at the pic on Fender's website http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0261000552 you can visually see how the D and G strings don't line up between the pole pieces, and if you look at the distance between the G string and the edge of the fingerboard at the nut compared to where it is at the top of the neck - it just doesn't quite fit.

As I said, I love this bass, so I'm hoping some sort of fix can be made. Simply replacing the bridge won't work, because this is a thru-the-body design and I don't know if another bridge would line up with the holes. (and, no I'm not willing to use a top loaded bridge or re-drill holes).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    If your bass looks exactly like the pic on Fender's site I think you're fine... You can't use the pickup's pole pieces as a guide because they are not level against the body, normally the bass side is lower than the treble side to compensate for string guage and output - if you push the pickup down on the treble side it'll line up better, but don't lower it for looks, as I mentioned there's a reason why the bass side is lower.

The G string alignment against the nut and at the 24th fret looks fine to me... if it really doesn't line up on your bass you can adjust the neck at the pocket a little - loosen the strings (not all the way, keep tension on them so that they are straight as though in pitch) then loosen the neck bolts a touch and you can shift the neck a little.

I am not a luthier or even a qualified repairman, but I do work on my own basses as much as I can with my abilities and experience... I've personally done this to my main bass, a Mike Lull M5V as the neck wasn't quite in the sweet spot when I got it and it was noticeable without looking too hard.

Lastly, I know you spent good money on the bass and it should be to your standards but don't let the tiny things get to you... As long as the G doesn't run off the fretboard you're ok.

IMHO.

Good luck!

3. If the actual output from all the strings are consistent, then the alignment shouldn't be too big an issue, other than aesthetic.

If it's any consolation, my P Bass has terrible string alignment if I want to keep even string spacing.

4. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I Have one of these Basses, and trust me, they are awesome! they are (as best I can tell) made in the same factory that produces the Cort Basses, and their build quality is really good. the string volumes across the strings is pretty even (both in passive and active mode - the pickups are switchable via a push/pull switch on the Volume pot)

really is a good bass!

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    And to upgrade it wouldn't cost much either.

throw in a set of DiMarzios, maybe change the preamp?

How shielded is the inside?

So it's made in 'the same factory as Cort' - so it's a Fender shaped Cort?

That isn't necessarily a bad thing...Made in Korea or Japan?

6. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    No, you need to check this bass out. It already has Basslines pickups and preamp. Hipshot lightweight tuners, etc. Really a very good bass. I'm just having this small issue with the string spacing.