Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass 60's reissue MIJ - Details?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beammeup, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi fellow TB'ers,

I've recently purchased this lovely Bass. (See attachments)

When I looked the serial up at http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/axdaterapx.html it struck me that the serial isn't matching the description. Can any of you explain this?

The pictures included, might give you some information.

I'm looking forward to hear from you, so I can get all the details about my new bass right.

2. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    And a few more :)

3. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    And the last.

4. Here's your original thread about this bass.

Info on this Fender Jazz MIJ

Hambone posed this comment about Crafted in Japan and Made in Japan it still aplies to this bass.

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Beamer, you've got a nice one there!

I think I've come up on why your bass is a wee bit out of the ordinary. First, your serial number - Believe it or not, my own "Crafted in Japan" bass is numbered only 120 units ahead of your number. How's that for a small world. However, this doesn't mean that yours is a simple Japanese RI. I think yours is meant for the Japanese Market. I've done the research on my own bass and it definitely IS a 1996-1997 CIJ '62 RI. Only my bass has the very simple "Jazz Bass" in block typestyle after the Fender logo. Your bass shows the RI theme taken a little further in that your logo is very similiar to the original decals used on the early 60's Jazzes. This leads me to believe that your bass was built by Fender Japan for the Japanese Market - not like mine that was done for the American Market and I'm guessing that Fender didn't want to confuse the markings with the American product. This would also account for the similiar numbers - yours are numbers used in Japan for Japan. I think I read somewhere that the Japanese number system is a little screwy. I guess this is a good example.

My other MIJ is an 86-87 model and is simply "Made in Japan" on the headstock under the simple block letters saying "Jazz Bass". That one has been verified also as what it says it is and that would be consistent with my theory on the American number system.

Most of this is only an educated guess though. :meh:

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Hambone,

Yes, It's a small world :eek:

I'm very greatfull for you, taking time, to give me more details.

After having done a setup etc. on the Bass, it has prooved it's value. I really dig this piece of wood.

It's not the last CIJ/MIJ Bass I've bought.

Once again - I really appreciate your help.