SOLD Fender Jazz Bass 62 AVRI Oly White-Price Drop

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by SonicBlueJoe, Apr 11, 2019.

1. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale is my USA built 2008 Fender 62 AV RI Jazz bass with Olympic White finish and a factory painted matching headstock. $1100 Shipping Included to 48US Only.

I would rate the condition excellent, but not mint. From 5 feet away it looks like a million bucks, close up it shows signs of normal player wear. Trying to be thorough here: the most significant being some scratches and discoloring along the bottom/back edge that I've shown in pictures. Small spot/slight dent near control plate. Some small dents in the buckle rash zone on back that are so slight they really don't show up in pictures. Some very slight barely perceptible difference in finish in that spot where your right hand rests above the pick guard and neck pick up. All things that would be fairly typical for a 10 year old lacquer finish bass that has gotten some good honest playing time. The back of the neck is smooth as butter and clean of nicks and bruises and dents, and remarkably, I managed to keep that beautiful headstock free of nicks and dings the last two years. No small task for me.

About that headstock, the previous seller indicated in the FS thread that he had correspondence from the original owner that it was a special order when purchased new, and that the headstock was painted by the Custom Shop. Whatever the story, it certainly looks the part and matches as if it has always lived that way. BTW, that's not a crack on the back of the headstock, just a line where the wood grain is dark. You can see a similar line down towards the bottom of the neck.

Weight is 9.5 lbs. Strung up with the Chromes I bought when I purchased two years back. Sale includes all case candy and paperwork and original case as shown in the pictures. I almost installed the ash trays, but never could get myself to put drill to wood.

The rosewood board on this bass is a really beautiful dark piece of wood. One of the nicest I've ever seen. The finish is also starting to do that yellowing thing that Oly White lacquer finish basses do. You can really see it when the sun catches it just right, it positively glows. Super cool bass that I will miss, but can't keep them all and it's time to move on and try some other things.

PayPal accepted. Will ship via FedEx Ground.

NO TRADES
    image3.jpeg
    image4.jpeg image5.jpeg IMG_3768.jpg IMG_3770.jpg IMG_3775.jpg image7.jpeg IMG_3780.jpg IMG_3781.jpg IMG_3784.jpg IMG_3782.jpg IMG_3791.jpg IMG_3792.jpg IMG_3793.jpg IMG_3794.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Ahort

Ahort Guest

Apr 13, 2018
    Beautiful bass!

SonicBlueJoe likes this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Looks great! GLWTS!

SonicBlueJoe likes this.
  4. samurai shotgun bass

samurai shotgun bass

Dec 25, 2014
    Florida
    Dunno what to type in here.
    I'll trade you a 2014 American standard p bass and a wren and cuff pickle pie b fuzztortion pedal.

Attached Files:

5. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.

6. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Do you have any full length shots of the bass showing the headstock?

Laklandfan likes this.
  7. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    First one is in the shade.

Second one is catching a little more sun.

IMG_3764.jpg
    image2.jpeg

8. I bought one of these 62 AVRI Jazz basses new back in 2008 and it's still my favorite Jazz bass. Whoever gets this will love it!

SonicBlueJoe likes this.
  9. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I have a '95 Blueburst reissue Danelectro Longhorn that is sexy believe me!!!! I just need a long scale. Hit me up. Work a deal.

10. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Man still looking at this, very interested but too many basses on my plate

SonicBlueJoe likes this.
  11. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Still trying to think of ways to keep this, but too many basses on my plate

wyleeboxer likes this.
  12. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    If I decide to sell my Yamaha Bb2024x I might hit u back? Glwts!

SonicBlueJoe likes this.
  13. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Central Virginia
    Japanese build, correct?

14. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    OH, no no no. Made in the US of A.

HeavyJazz likes this.
  15. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    According to the info on this page
    How to Date a Fender with Serial Numbers ,
    a serial # starting with a "V" followed by 6 digits could be made in Japan in 1996-1997.

It also says:
    "American Vintage Reissue models
    The major exception to all of this is the American Vintage Reissue (AVRI) series. These have serial numbers starting with V and do not strictly correlate to years. The neck dates on these guitars, however, are usually reliable."

So in other words, the info on that page is not clear enough (at least to me) to tell whether this bass (since it starts with a "V" followed by 6 digits) is MIJ or USA made. I don't see any markings on the bass indicating country of manufacture. I thought they all would say Made in xxx somewhere on them, but obviously either I am wrong or that portion was removed.

What are the dates on the neck and neck pocket?

I have a vested interest in the answer because I am in a similar situation. I have a '57 Precision reissue that I was told was an AVRI when I bought it, and my serial # is similar to yours, and someone ended up telling me it was MIJ and I believed them. Now after seeing the info on the Reverb page, I don't know what to believe. Certainly looking at the people's names who are stamped on the instrument it does not appear to be MIJ, since they are not Japanese names. But it was built in 1997, which puts it in the right era to possibly be MIJ. And there is a little red sticker in there that has handwriting on it which either says "T3", or else it says something in Japanese, I don't know which since I can't read Japanese. Regardless of where it was built, it is a fantastic instrument, really the finest P bass I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I have no doubt your J bass is the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Spidey2112 and SonicBlueJoe like this.
  16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Japan basses will have Made(or crafted) in Japan either on the back of the neck or front of headstock. Chances are your '57 is a USA.

SonicBlueJoe likes this.
  17. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    COOL - mine is the same as this Jazz bass, no "Made in" anywhere on it. So I guess they are both USA, excellent!

If I didn't already have an awesome '64 AVRI, I would be buying this one.

Attached Files:

SonicBlueJoe and FunkHead like this.
  18. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I must admit, I never noticed that nowhere on the bass does it say USA.

Here's the FS ad I purchased from. Scroll through and you can see where I got my information on the matching headstock and some discussion about MIJ/MIA. See post #19, where it appears previous owner mentions the neck stamp.

SOLD - Fender AVRI 62 Jazz in Olympic White w/matching headstock

I could be wrong about this, so I offer this not as all in any sort of way as verification, but I thought I read somewhere that the MIJ version of this bass only came in the 3-knob configuration. Don't hold me to it, but someone messaged me about stack knob versus 3-knob and I thought I might have read that along the way.

Bottom line: if anyone ready to hit their PayPal button really needs me to pull the neck before doing so, I will. Just message me. I'll also say this, I trust the seller from whom I got this that it is what he said it is, and based upon that alone, I will 100% warranty this bass is US made and will refund entirely and pay all return shipping costs to anyone who buys it and proves beyond and reasonable doubt it was MIJ.

Spidey2112 and xnewyorka like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Call Fender, with the serial number on the plate... they've always been very helpful.

They should be able to describe the instrument to a 'T'... from there, you should be able to make a determination as to it's origin.

Not a huge deal separating neck from body, either... I'd loosen the strings first.

image000000.gif

SonicBlueJoe likes this.
  20. Pm'd