1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRADED Fender Jazz Bass '77 (video)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by AugustusFlora, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    This is a great sounding 77. I find it rare for a 70s jazz to have a great slap tone and bridge pickup bark on the same bass. This one definitely has it. It's not a collector's piece, rather a players bass. It's refinished to spar varnish as per previous owner. It weighs ~9.5 lbs. The pickups are hum cancelling lindy fralins. The pots were changed.

Truss rod and microtune system work perfectly. No issues with the instrument. It has a slight neck pocket gap that is common for 70s fenders but the neck doesn't move and the tone is great. The bass has all the vintage mojo and been successfully used on many recordings.

trades: +/- cash

-5 string fretless basses
    -4 string pj basses with precision body and jazz neck
    -4/5 string modern active basses
    -run anything else by me. GAS is a hell of a factor.

*Most recent GAS list:
    -4 bangers Lakland JO, Lakland and Lull PJ w j necks
    -4 string STR, 4/5 ken smith lower end bolt on models (bsrj, bsr m)
    -5 string fretless (clement, bordwell, stambaugh, roscoe etc. Preference for 34")

Will pay for shipping in Canada and split the shipping to US. Have done this before. The shipping will come out to $60 - $80 depending on location. You won't pay any customs taxes.

I reserve the right to come to senses and decide not to sell it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    seang15, LM Bass and Ductapeman like this.
  2. whatever was done to the wood grain looks cool

Ductapeman and AugustusFlora like this.
  3. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up a 75 that looks a lot like this one here. Same situation too--refinished, swapped pots, pups. Plays like a monster. GLWTS for this real deal player!!

AugustusFlora likes this.
  4. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Looks like it has been "popped" at some point in the past. It's really nice looking!

5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Wow! It's my old bass! Boy, I sure miss this one. It was only sold because funds were needed for a family crisis at the time. The finish was like that when I had it (2006 to 2008). However, this thing played pretty well.

Here's a picture that I snapped right before I put it in the shipping box. :(

000_0782.JPG

Edit: Just an FYI....the refinish material was confirmed to be spar varnish by a couple of local woodworkers.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Ductapeman and AugustusFlora like this.
  6. Yeah, I saw your ad. Good luck with your as well. These basses kick ass. Had mine for 7 years and enjoyed it thoroughly. The reissues I've held didn't have the same depth.

BigDanT and Ductapeman like this.
  7. Sorry man, I wish I could pass it back to you since you have history with this axe..

Ductapeman likes this.
  8. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I am not a crook
    I seem to remember some mid-'70s Jazzes and P's too had a clear finish with a grain accent, very like these-- possibly a factory finish?

9. Added a video to the main post. Some solid proof this bass sounds absolutely stellar and authentic.

10. All pms replied. Great trade offers and interest. Still here though. Waiting for $ or the right trade. Main post updated with recent gas list.

11. Traded!