1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bass 78'??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sixmax, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Sixmax

Sixmax

Dec 5, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Hey...I was thinking about buying a new bass...I've been searching the internet here in Denmark, and I've forund some cool basses...

Fender Jazz Bass 78', four string, with blonde body and neck. The price is around 1800$...does it sound nice?? I will visit the owner in a few days, so please tell me if I should look after something specific about the bass...thank you....

Sixmax

:bassist:

2. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Well, if you want to make sure it's all original, first make sure that serial number on the headstock starts with "S 8" (like this one:

1977JazzBass3.

It should also have "Stratocaster" style volume and tone knobs (yuk :spit: ):

Jazz-1979-sold.

If you can unscrew the pickups (front is easier to remove), there should be a grey bobbin with a date stamp on, like these:

Fenderpickups.

Those things should help you determine the originality. Apart from that, try moving the neck around in the neck pocket (those 3 bolt fixings can be a bit sloppy, even with the screws tightened up).

I'd also take an allen key and try it on the truss rod, to see if it's broken.

The price seems pretty fair, provided that the whole thing is original. If it comes with the OHSC, that's even better!

Good luck and don't forget to come back and post the pics, if you buy it ;) .

3. Sixmax

Sixmax

Dec 5, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Thank you for the reply, Fender32, it was a very great help for me...

I actually bought the bass!!
    It's so great and got for only 1700$ inclusive the OHSC..:)

I will show you some pics of it (not a good quality :rollno: ):

Billede012.

Billede011.

Billede010.

Thank you for the help...:hyper:

4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    very nice..so it came with the original ashtray covers too? If it's an original 1978, I think you made a pretty good purchase..

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say that was an outrageously good deal.