Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass ?? (a bit long sorry)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JoeyJazzMan, Feb 22, 2002.

1. JoeyJazzMan

JoeyJazzMan

Jan 15, 2002
    Burbank, CA
    Has anyone else had a problem with their neck on their 62 reissue Jazz bass? I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago. I was fine when I got it out of the box. After I played it for ONE weekend. I used it on ONE gig here in Hollywierd the next day the action was screwed up.

My tech said that Fender's not doing a great job with their necks lately a lot of them are coming out screwed up.The truss rod was jammed all the way in. I took it back to Guitar Center (why do I go there? I always say I'm not going but go anyway)

Guitar Center seemed to have fixed it. GC said the truss rod was tightend in one direction there was play in the the other direction I said o.k. and the action was better.

The next day the same thing happend the strings were really high above the 12th fret. I went back to GC and screamed at them. My NEW BASS is in today. I am picking it up after work.
    Is this normal? Will I have the same problem with this bass?
    How hard is it to learn how to make adjustments Any help would be greatley appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This doesn't sound like what's happening to you, but don't forget it takes several days (at least!) before a truss rod adjustment settles in.

When I changed over to big 9050 flats, I was tweaking my Jazz neck for two weeks before it quit moving!

3. Erm...
    No, no problems with my '62 reissue neck.

Of course, I don't even know where it was made... :p

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I haven't had problems with mine (it's a 1991 FWIW) but I'm aware of the problem and am super paranoid about temperature and humidity changes. Apparently some of them are just really prone to instability. I would guess it's due to the inherent instability of the design that is used (no reinforcements, no skunk stripe even, thinest profile imaginable). Hopefully you'll have better luck with your new one, Joe. They're really sweet if you can get a stable one.