Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass . Best strings to put ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gozan, Dec 12, 2001.

1. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    I have a 75 Fender Jazz Bass . Action on bass is a little high and tend to buzz if I lower action. Strings on bass are D'ddario 45 -105 , but are old. I play several types of music including Disco - rock - Folklore- etc. Looking for a set a strings that might allow me to lower action and get some bounce back on the fret board .

2. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Generally, flats will add some tension, thus allowing you to lower your action somewhat, depending on string diameter, etc. A lot of players prefer nickel flats (like TI wink-wink) and TI's tension is lower than most nickel flats so it's easy to get rid of the buzz while going low. If you want a smooth feel but also a set that you can slap with some high and mid range crispiness, then I'd go for stainless steel flats. Do you know what level of tension your most comfortable playing with? It's a good place to start if your wanting lower/higher action.

3. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    If I choose a thinner guage , will that allow me lower the action too ?

4. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Generally, yes. Tension then factors in as if you imagine a looser string's vibration, it's orbit is larger and may create buzz if the action is too low. If the tension is a bit tighter, it's orbit is also tight. Thus, you should be able to get the action down.

Keep in mind that these go hand-in-hand. If you have low tension strings with high action, you'll get no buzzing and it will be (similarly) as easy to play as tight strings with low action. I'm sure you'll find your happy medium somewhere...

Keep us posted

5. Gozan, I have a Yamaha BBN5 II bass (very similar to a Jazz) and I've settled on Dean Markley Blue Steels, 40 - 100. Very nice strings. Nice and responsive, but, not overly bright.

Mike J.

6. I use DR Lo-Rider mediums on my Jazz - I haven't tried anything I liked better. I even ordered a set for my Lakland since the spiffy new set of Lakland strings I got two days ago were less than inspiring.

allan

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    DR Low Riders are my choice for a Jazz.

8. I'll agree to this. DR's are nice strings. Lots of juicy complex overtones and harmonics. Very nice string.

I'll also have to cast a vote for EB slinkies (in whatever guage you prefer). I've found them to be a good string, and at an excellent price.

FF

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I especially like DR Lo Riders on my Jazz.

10. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    gozan-- Thomguy's advice is sound. Thomastik-Infeld makes a very high quality string.

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thomastik Jazz flats!! Nice smooth feel, and you can get a lot of nice tones with them. If you're into slapping, you can do that too.
    A good place to get them is from www.carolkaye.com
    She has great prices, and ships right away.
    Food for thought

12. I am soon going to pop on a set of either Ken Smith Metal Master 45-105 or DR Lo-Riders (I think).

13. http://www.vintagebass.com/

Steve "Dude" Barr is very reputable, in-stock, ships promptly, and very competive on pricing. He's also a good bud and stands behind everything he sells. Highly recommended.

[ edit ]

doh!

Steve sells the T-I strings.

14. I used to have a re-issue 75 Jazz with a maple board... at the time I was playing hard rock and loved the bass with Rotosound Swingbass strings on it. I never had the urge to try a flat-wound string.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have Fender 9050Ms on my Jazz, and it's perfect (for me)!