1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Body, How to verify it ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nlabat, Jul 19, 2014.

1. nlabat

nlabat

Jul 10, 2013
    Miami Beach FL
    Hi guys I bought a Fender Jazz bass Body, what the post claim to be a 2006 American one...

But how can i date it for real ???
    the neck pocket is not clear ...

HELP!

2. nlabat

nlabat

Jul 10, 2013
    Miami Beach FL
    any idea ??

3. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Do you have any pics? Also, is it just the body or does it have all the electronics and hardware as well?

4. nlabat

nlabat

Jul 10, 2013
    Miami Beach FL
    It got all the electronics on and hardware too ,,

in deed got the strings through the body, and the S-1 switch ....

the pocket is "dirty" and sadly there is no way to identify the information there ,,
    BTW i did not try to clear it to get to the information....

5. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Well, without the date stamp in the neck pocket being clear, there isn't much (that I know of) that can verify what year body it is. If it's string-thru, then it's MiA for sure. The S-1 switch is certainly a 2000's thing, but that doesn't help determine the body year. What color is it? Did you look under the pickguard or the pickup cavities? Maybe there is something there that will give you some clues.

6. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    Carbon dating.

7. nlabat

nlabat

Jul 10, 2013
    Miami Beach FL
    How ?

8. nlabat

nlabat

Jul 10, 2013
    Miami Beach FL
    Check my pics

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/nlabat/library/Fender jb

There is a date I thing in the neck pocket
    Something like APR and 02 or something like that ..

BUT let's hear your thoughts

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/nlabat/library/Fender jb

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  9. nlabat

nlabat

Jul 10, 2013
    Miami Beach FL
    any idea with the pics?

10. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Could be APR 02, but really hard to tell. Fender body for sure, it's got the routes that you would expect to see under the pickguard for that model, what I find odd is that there appears to be a lot of scratching in the neck pocket. I've never seen anything like that with normal wear, even taking the neck off every so often for whatever reason. Also, the two corners of the neck pocket appear to be rounded out a bit more. I don't know if this is due to some aftermarket thing or something that Fender is doing with those basses. Usually the back of the neck pocket matches the curve at the end of the neck.

It's possible that this came from a 2006 MiA Jazz, but bear in mind that Fender makes a ton of bodies and necks. It is entirely possible to have a serial number on the neck give you a 2006 build date with a body that is a couple of years older. The routing on the body matches what Fender has done for years on MiA and MiM basses, so someone in the factory could have pulled a body from stock when it was time to put one together.

I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you. It's a beautiful body, get a neck on that thing, tune up, and rock out. :bassist:

nlabat likes this.
  11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. the sticker in the cavity with the part #55219 identifies it as a 3TSB alder body from the American Series ... the American Series was available from about 8/2000, until mid 2008 when the 'New' American Standard was introduced ...

... however, the top load option on the bridges for these, was not available until '02, so if the components are stock/original (which they appear to be correct), this would make this at least a 2002 AmSeries ...

... however, the S-1 switching was not introduced on the AmSeries until 2004, so again if we make the observation that it appears stock/original, that would make this body 2004 or newer ...

.. bottom line, best educated guess would be this is an American Series Jazz body from a bass made between mid 2004 and the first part of 2008 .. nothing really was changed on these through that entire time period, so there is no benefit to being any specific year in that span, and lack of clear date stamp should not be an issue in this case ... it is a matter of the components and the part # verifying identification ...

... enjoy !! ... ;)

nlabat and Linnin like this.