Fender Jazz Bass body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mkromer, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mkromer

Oct 16, 2004
    Hi everybody,

a few days ago I bought a Fender Jazz Bass. Without the pickups and pots however. Today I started to complete the bass and took off the pickguard. To my surprise there is a large routing from the neck pickup cavity to the control cavity. I have seen quite some Jazz bass bodies but none with such a routing.

So my question is: is this a genuine Fender Jazz Bass body ? Please help me identifying the body. This one shows the routing

and these are the labels in the neck pickup routing.

Thanks for your help in advance,

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Many Fender Jazzes are routed that way from the factory. It depends on the model, and where are when it was made. My American Standard 5 definately was, but I don't remember about my MIJ '75 Reissue.

3. My American Deluxe V is routed that way, my FMT is not... it seems to vary model to model
  4. My 1986/87 MIJITSO 62 Reissue doesn't have that channel - it's solid like Jaco's.

My 1996 CIJITSO 62 Reissue fretless doesn't have the channel either.
  5. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    looks like the body could be a Fender MIM model, but the MIM necks truss adjust is usually at the headstock.
  6. It definitely looks MIM. Most Fenders nowadays have the routing, even MIAs. But that little round hole thing is usually indicative of a MIM.

EDIT: It seems as if the body is MIM but the neck is MIA... a MIA body would have a little route where the truss rod adjustment is.
  7. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    What is that "little round hole thing", anyway.

I have one on my MIA Precision. (made in 2000). :confused:
  8. I think it's a hole used to hold the bass up during the painting phase.

By the way... can the bass be strung through the body? If so, it's likely MIA.
  9. mkromer

Oct 16, 2004
    whoa, great, thank you all !! At least it does not seem to be some cheap rip off copy of a Fender body.

The neck is definitively MIA, serial # is Z3154237 and the body is not string through. Tuners are these semi enclosed types with a big "F" on them.

I bought the bass for EUR 580,- and for a otherwise new MIA Jazz Bass in a unusual but nice colour just without the pickups, pots and knobs it seemed like a nice deal.