1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Bullet End Truss Rod Removal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J Hud, Sep 16, 2010.

1. J Hud

J Hud

Feb 18, 2006
    DFW
    Hi all. I have a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz. The truss rod end receiver "bullet" is stripped. Does anyone know the best way to remove it. The obvious route, via a pair of needle-nose pliers, isn't getting it done.

I'm thinking about drilling a small hole through it sideways and inserting a slim metal rod to use to turn it.

Thoughts?

Any ideas on a more straightforward method?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    when i had my repair shop, i used that method before and it works great.
    i also used to have some oversized allens that were slightly tapered that i used try first.

3. J Hud

J Hud

Feb 18, 2006
    DFW
    Thanks for the validation. I can't think of a better method of removing it.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Unless you're really steady and good with a drill, way to risky the drill bit will slip and you'll stab the headstock.

I have screw extractors that would fit in the original hole and get out.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    whenever i had to do it, i notched the area where i drilled it first with a dremel grinding bit, and then drilled it, since the rounded chrome surface can be very 'slippery'.

6. J Hud

J Hud

Feb 18, 2006
    DFW
    Yeah, I planed on hitting it with a tap to form an indention to seat the bit into. I'll be doing it this evening, so we'll see.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021