Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass Decal for Headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Feb 17, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Can't view the link :(

-robert

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hard to tell since there are so many re-pro's out there. What are you looking to put it on, an old Jazz Bass or a copy? If it's an old Jazz bass, you might be able to have Fender do something. If it's a copy J bass, I'd buy the decal. I've paid more for them & that seems to be a good price.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    :eek:Eh, didnt see this thread until now. I just bought that decal.
    Hope I didnt upset you gfab333. Sorry, dont hate me.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No problem Jock.

I checked with Fender about the procedure of obtaining a factory decal (assuming that you have a genuine Fender bass to put it on). This is what they emailed me...

DECAL LETTER:

Thank you for your recent request for a replacement decal, and your continued interest in Fender Instruments. So that we may service your request as quickly as possible, we ask that you comply with this list of procedures and submit the following to the nearest Authorized Fender Service Center:

1. A written request; stating the specific decal you need and the reason you need it.

2. A photograph of the entire front of the instrument.

3. A photograph of the entire back of the instrument.

4. A close-up photograph of the headstock of the instrument showing the need for a new decal.

5. If the serial number is on the neck plate, send either a close-up photograph of the neckplate or a lead pencil rubbing of the neckplate serial number.

The Service Center will then submit your formal request, your photographs, and a letter of verification that your instrument is indeed a genuine Fender in need of a replacement decal.

If your request meets with the criteria we have established for decal replacement, a new decal will be furnished for you, to your Authorized Fender Service Center. The Service Center may assess you a service charge for processing your request as well as for the application of the decal to your instrument.

If you need assistance locating an authorized Service Center in your area, please call (480) 596-7195 and a Fender Consumer Relations Representative will be happy to assist you.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The decal that Jock just bought looks pretty good to me. I'm no expert, but it looks like the vintage decals on basses in the bass books that I have: How the Fender Bass Changed the World, The Fender Bass, and The Bass Book.

It seems to me that someone could also download the image (like the one at Ebay) to their home computer, convert it to a JPEG, and make their own decal with Photoshop and a decal transparency kit. It's probably illegal, but don't you guys drive 10 miles over the speed limit?

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't think it would be illegal unless you attempted to sell the bass and represented it as a Fender bass.

If I wanted to download a Budweiser logo and stick it on my bass, I could it is my bass. I just don't think I can later post it on ebay as the official Bud bass.

Chas

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    that same guy has more of them up with the "buy it now" feature, all of them at 20$... I might take them all before you get there, though!

P@

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That's a great point Chasarms!

10. So you have to fill out all that crap?

Man, and all I need is the decal for my MIM P-Bass Standard...geez.

Where can you get one of those decal kits? I'm thinking I just might buy one of those, take a digital pi of my headstock, make the bkgrd transparent and apply it to my new neck...

P.S. Bad neck, and it can't be adjusted...I'm thinking of going Warmoth for it. Now what materials I should use is a different question...

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Or you could try the suggestion in a previous post...

"It seems to me that someone could also download the image (like the one at Ebay) to their home computer, convert it to a JPEG, and make their own decal with Photoshop and a decal transparency kit. It's probably illegal, but don't you guys drive 10 miles over the speed limit?"

Download is same as capture image for a cut and paste; right click on an image and choose "save picture as".

decal tranparencies are about $7 - 10 for a packet of 8.5 X 11 sheets.

12. gfab333 what e-mail did you use to e-mail Fender? You can PM me or IM me or e-mail me...bigvert50@hotmail.com Thanx in advance

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    All I'm looking for is the "Fender" script for the headstock of a (future) replacement Jazz neck so it doesn't look so bare - I don't want to make a fake. Most of the knockoffs I've seen are more vintage appearing than I care for - anyone ever seen just the noodle script? My printer is pretty sucky, and I'm not convinced about the permanence of printer ink in this use.

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Smash: Since you aren't going to use it, care to sell it (to me, that is)?

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :bawl:

;)

16. just don't put it on an SX or something!

17. Something like that would be great. I think the reason I'm not buying Warmoth necks is because, well, there goes the Fender logo, etc. I could even get one for my Squire and put a Fender sticker... close enough!