Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe - Pickups uneven

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Beammeup, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

I have owned a Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe (MIA) since 2003, and I've had som very good times with it.

It has only one flaw - The pickups is very uneven.
    The E-string is awfull mute compared to the other 3 strings.

It lacks a lot of dynamic tone and volume.

Is there anyone out there, who help me on this one.

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

2. You may have to elevate the pole pieces or even the pickup itself.

3. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,
    Is it possible for me to elevate the dual-coil ceramic noiseless J Bass® pickups it's equipt with?

And how?

4. I believe so, though I must tell you I am not a luthier or even that skilled with that form of technical work. I do know however, that a common problem regarding output is the level of height (or lack thereof) of the pickups in question.

Your best bet, it to wait here for someone to respond who is knowledable (not me, hehe) or even post this in the pickups forum. I am positive that you will receive help that will in fact be correct.

You could also bring the instrument to a local music shop and have them check it out.

In any case, good luck!

One last thing, check the battery and replace it if needed. Then give it a shot.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You might also have a bad nut or loose screw on the E saddle. Also make sure the low E is seated well over the nut and over the saddle. Behind each (on the other side of the speaking length of the string) press down with the round handle of a screwdriver to help the string go down over those angles. Firmly but carefully.

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,
    I'll check my setup and get back to you.

Thanks

7. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Henrik, when was the last time you replaced the strings ? You may simply have a dead E strin :bassist: g, or like was suggested, your string isnt seated correctly. Sometimes you even get dead strings out of box. I just replaced the strings on my MIM Deluxe Jazz (I find the Fender Superbass 7250s sound great and I get good balanced tone on each string.)

Good Luck !! Rob

8. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Rob,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think it could be the strings. The problem has been there for the last 12 sets :meh:
    I waiting for an order of a new brand - hoping those might solve the problem.

9. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Henrick, then Id suggest taking it to your nearest Bass repair person and have them look at it ! You should be getting even response across the pickup. Is it weak the same on both the Bridge + Neck pickups if your try them alone ?

:confused:

10. does the problem exist on BOTH pickups?

if so, it's probably NOT your pickups but something else...

if it exists on only one pickup, then I'd definitely be suspicious of the pickups.

11. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Well it seems to be worst on the neck pickup, the bridge is nearly as weak.

It looks like the Pickup poles are very low for the E-String. It must be that.

12. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    A good first step is to check and make sure your bass is correctly adjusted. How about checking your setup (see link to Fender Bass setup guide http://www.fender.com/support/setup/basssetup.php

The pickup pole pieces on the Jazz Bass are staggered height. This is designed to accomodate the fretboard radius curve. Perhaps your E-Sting is simply too high ? You can lower the saddle height so the E string is closer to the pickup.

:hyper: