1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Distorting and Cutting Out, Help Greatly Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DougThatBass, Feb 15, 2016.

1. DougThatBass

DougThatBass

Feb 15, 2016
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I'm having some problems with my Fender Jazz Bass. It cuts in and out, sometimes from full volume to a much lower one, sometimes just completely. Prior to cutting out it tends to break up a ton. At first, a quick heavy pick or strum and the distortion would subside, and everything'd work fine for a bit. Lately it's started getting to the point where it will start distorting or cutting out every time I played it. I took a look inside, but it looks like everything's fine. I am competent with a soldering iron, and have a good amount of experience with it, having replaced all the electronics on my Epiphone SG Bass on my own. I'd rather not have to replace all the pots and the output jack if its not gonna help anything.

I've put some pictures of the innards up if that helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm sick of my SG and want my Fender back.
    image1. image2. image3. image4. image5. image6.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    @line6man is the person you wanna talk to. He's probably forgotten more about this than I'll ever know.

Growlmonkee likes this.
  3. DougThatBass

DougThatBass

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks! I'll send him a message.

4. DougThatBass

DougThatBass

Feb 15, 2016
    Still no reply, kind of needing more help? Urgent?

5. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    possibly a dumb question, but have you checked your cable from your bass output? Or the output jack itself? i've had both problems before and both are easily fixable.

6. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Take it to your repair man.

seang15 likes this.
  7. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    Sounds like some part of the electronics (probably the jack tip) touching the cavity wall which is painted with shielding paint. To test it try to play while the control plate is out of the cavity and see if it solves problem.

8. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    This may sound crazy, but try cleaning the tip of the output jack...the little V shaped part at the end of the J-shaped part. Just use a pencil eraser to clean that gunk off. Otherwise, your wiring looks OK.

mikezimmerman and Growlmonkee like this.
  9. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Not a definitive answer, but your wiring appears correct in the pictures. if your cables, and amp are in good working order, my first step would be to leave the control panel opened, while plugged in, and wiggle wires, to try to find a bad one, I would do this by carefully moving one wire at a time, and not move others. Output jacks do go bad, simple as they are, my next thing would be to wiggle the cable, gently, to see if the jack is the culprit, if that's it, buy a Switchcraft # 11 jack, and replace it, (they are built a bit heavy, and are not prone to failure). the problem you describe sounds like a bad jack, or a bad wire, if that's the case, any movement would cause a problem. If I was working on it, my first guess (guessing isn't best), would be that it most likely isn't your pickups, though it could be a wire attached to them. If I was stumped, and couldn't figure it out, I would solder each pickup directly to a new output jack, along with the bridge ground wire, making sure everything was on the correct terminal, that would tell me if one of the pots, or a wire on the pots was bad, If everything worked great with the pickups straight to a new jack, I'd work backwards till I found the culprit. The reason I would spend 5 bucks on a jack..you can't always see if they are messed up between those fiberglass plates, from the cable plug moving around too much.