Fender Jazz Bass Evolution-Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidguevara80, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Hi , i am Trying to trade my new Warwick Corvette standard 5 string passive for a MIA Jazz Bass 5 String,a local guy want to make the trade but i saw it on the pictures that the tuners are in line all together,instead of 4 in one side and one alone on the bottom (you know) What is the difference, i think that those are old J Basses or what is the difference are those better than the new ones??are they any good?

Thanks

2. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    I believe thats how Fender makes their 5'ers, Ray Riendau has a couple of Fenders and all the tuners are in line.
    If i were you i wouldn't blink on the trade, I've tried to get a hold of Fender 5 for years now, Really hard to get those in Israel.

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Fender used the 5-in-a-row tuner configuration on five-string basses from the mid-1990s until about 2001. After that, Fender switch to 4+1 tuners.

You should be able to figure out the year of the bass from the serial numbers. Models from the 1990s had serial numbers beginning with N, while models from the 2000s had serial numbers beginning with Z. The next digit indicates the year in which the instrument was made. So for example, a serial number starting with N9 indicates a bass made in 1999. A serial number starting with Z1 indicates a bass made in 2001.

4. noxweb

noxweb

Apr 6, 2008
    Almada, Portugal
    or he could be selling you a fender Mexican instead of an american one, my mexican fender is from 2004 and it has lined up tuners

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021