Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass finish question¿

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaco_Goatse, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Arggh - my eyes....how many goats did Jaco have ? :confused:

2. My eyes indeed, you don't want to know!

3. Yours will alter a little over many years, but not like the old ones. They were finished in nitro-cellulose laquer, which is a very thin paint which ages by changing colour and by checking. Modern basses are finished in polyurethane and polyester, which is quite thick and wear resistant. Part of the mystique and sound of early instruments comes from the fact that the paint is so thin, many people believe it allows the wood to vibrate better.

4. Interesting, thanks for the info. Yeah, the new one I have doesn't quite sound like the 70s funk monster an old friend used to have. But I still like it alot.

5. This is my photo and my Jazz Bass, where did you get my photo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treena

6. There's a search function on this board, I hear it's quite common with computers!!! Type in Jazz Bass and there you go... :D

Anyway, I should have given credit for your photo, awesome bass.

Rock on,
    JG

7. I like it too!

Your new Jazz bass is a beauty!

Jaco, I'm in Springfield Oregon at the moment. Where do you live in Oregon?

Photot by......Jaco [​IMG]

8. Ha, I'm right across the river. Eugene! What brings U up from Arnold land!

9. Unfortunately my fathers failing health has me commuting between SF and Springfield every few weeks.

I love Oregon though, I grew up here. It's kinda nice to be away from all the craziness of California. I didn't vote for Arnold........[​IMG]

Hey, enjoy your new jazz bass it sure is sweet!

Treena

10. I hear ya, my father is living in LA. I was there for the first time last year and that was pretty intense and fun. I think I flew into SF on the way. It was cool to meet someone from Oregon here, enjoy your evening fellow jazzer Treena!

JG

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  12. >>Another question about Fender basses and their collectible quality.<<

60s Fender basses now have a price tag of up to 10k.

For those of you collection geeks or speculators, (I mean that in a good way!), do you think the new fender basses will increase in value over the years???

JG