1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Fretless Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Starflyer59, Oct 2, 2013.

1. I got a Fender MIM jazz bass with the exposed pickup leads and after trying flats, rounds, tapewounds and half rounds i've found the sound (especially the neck pickup) to be hollow and just not as a hot as the bridge pickup (mind you i even have taken the bass for a setup with a luthier and still the sound does not convince me).

Im looking for a thumpy yet a little growly fretless bass sound that can be cut through the mix.

Ive been pondering the following pickup replacement options:

Dimarzio Model J:Thumpy and vintage. Its my first choice.

Aluma J pickups (lace): I heard wonders about this particular set of pups. From a recomendation of a colleage who says the output is high and the sound is even all across the strings.

Any more opinions??

2. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    It is odd that the neck pickup is not as hot as the bridge. Usually, the neck pickup is hotter than the bridge as the string has more physical movement as it vibrates.

Anyway, they are not on your list but I can add my two cents of experience about my Bartolinis and SD Antiquity IIs. The Bart is great modern sound (split-coil noiseless) and the SD Antiquity II is perfect vintage sound (true single coil and noisy as hell).

3. I have run Model J's for about 5 years now and couldn't be happier with them.