1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bass Highway One mods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mobiless, Jan 15, 2012.

1. hi everyone, what kind of mods you have on your highway one bass or would recommend to do? So far i've been happy with sound of highway1, but now i'm thinking what can i do with my bass, to get better sound. More bottom..
    Sound is just to bright on lower notes and higher notes don't have that Miller kind of bottom too..

I'm thinking about J - retro preamp, shielding, because i don't think fender bass should buzz that much, no idea about pickups..

Thank's ! :)

2. UP! No suggestions? :)

3. DR Fat Beams.

4. Big +1 on that.

5. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    get rid of the greasebucket

6. how i understand from threads in this forum - i will get more bottom without losing highs? or highs will be cutted off slightly when tone control is all the way up?

and i can just remove it or i need to install some new cap when i remove greasebucket?

thank you very much!

7. Jazzy75

Jazzy75

Mar 1, 2010
    Well if the sound is too bright i would suggest to get rid of the BA II :bag:

8. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    just wire it normally , IIRC the caps are .022mfd and .1 ,get a .047 from radio shack and experiment with all 3 , .047 is standard nowadays everything else you need is there already

9. Drop in a John East Retro j preamp.

10. I actually like the Greasebucket and BAII, that's why I got a Highway One in the first place. That and nitro finish, too (I want my roadworn to be worn out by me and not a machine.)

11. Thank you, i think i will try that !
    I like brightness, but sometimes i miss more bottom, especially when slapping. Probably best solution for me is jretro, but for now i am looking less expensive modifications to get better sound

Using already :)