Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender jazz bass is good for slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coleman, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    it good for slap?
    and the sound is good?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yes.

The jazz has pretty much been the default slap bass throughout the ages.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    marcus miller does alright with his fender jazz...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And Larry Graham invented it on a Jazz bass!! ;)

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    did he really? - i always thought he played a precision for some reason?

larry graham rules.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Jaco slapped on his Jazz. Jazz was the prominent slap bass for years.

Dan

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not in public!! ;)

Unless you count his "full palm slap" which was a bit different.

8. i thought there was a song when he does a full on slap grove. in a vidoe i have he like slaps a muted e and does a slide. its sic cause he does it right at the right places.

9. Yes.

And don't forget Will Lee on Sadowsky jazz basses. Last track on Hiram Bullock's "Live at Manny's Car Wash" smokes!

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yuck! :p

11. what is this full plam that u speak of

12. yak

yak

Jul 30, 2002
  13. :eek: Duh! Hear my jazz bass slapped: go to my CD website -- www.cdbaby.com/cd/sloves-- and listen to the 2 minute sound samples from "Funkin' Green Machine" and "Boardin' and Bladin' ". "Sweet Spot" also, particularly the last minute or so; there's a bit of it on "Calpso Surf".

The bass is Sadowsky jazz into a Kern preamp DI'd to the AD converters. You don't have to register or buy the CD to get the sound samples.

14. yak

yak

Jul 30, 2002
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I also thought Larry Graham slapped on a Precision.

Jazz bass has a great slap sound. So does a P IMO.

16. a ray has the slap sound right.lol

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is one of the funniest questions I've heard asked on here, considering what Graham and Marcus has done with them. BTW, Graham also played a Ric for a while, not the 4001, but the other model.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    When and what album did Larry Grahm ever played a "Ric ? I have every album that Grahm Central Station has produced (were are talking early to mids 70's and real early 80's) The only bass anybody remembers him playing was a Jazz Bass.It has been said but not confirmed that he use a Gibson "Ripper in the studio.And supposedly it was "Sly who showed him the Thump/slap technique but again no one could confirm this also.However there was another bassist out of the same oakland area by the name of Kenny Burke that was slapping around the same time as Larry Grahm was.If you can get your hands on some old Ramesy Lewis,you can check him out on those albums.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He was playing a Ric sometime during his stint with Sly.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not so. According to Larry, he started thumping the low strings and plucking the high strings to cover the drum parts, when he and his Mom started playing as a duo.

'What kind of music were you playing with your mother when you started slapping on the bass?

We were playing nightclub gigs. When you do that, you play all types of music because people love to make requests. We made it a point to learn everything from soulful stuff to ballads by Dinah Washington to country.

When my mother and I first started playing together, I was on guitar and we also had a drummer. There was an organ at the club and I learned how to play the bass pedals of the organ and the guitar at the same time. The sound was big because we had the bottom end coming from the organ. Then the organ broke down and I rented a bass, temporarily, until the organ could be repaired. But the organ was so old it couldn't be fixed, so I got stuck on the bass.

Later, when my mother and I started playing as a duo without the drummer, I began thumping the strings to make up for not having a bass drum and plucking the high strings to give the sound of a snare drum backbeat.

Now you've got guys slapping not only in funk, but country & western, R?, pop, blues and jazz. I saw a show of Yanni at the Acropolis where his bass player broke into a funk solo and started thumping and plucking.'

http://citypaper.net/articles/011697/article001.shtml