Fender Jazz Bass is too noisy. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by James Bass, Apr 29, 2019.

1. James Bass

James Bass

Apr 29, 2019
    I have Flea’s signature series Roadworn Fender Jazz Bass. I’m running it through an Ampeg SVT. I love the bass and it sounds great a lower volumes but when I try to rehearse with it, using my big rig, it’s sooo noisy. I’ve tried shielding but not much difference. Should I replace the pickups? If yes, then with what? Again, I really love the bass and want to make it work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

welcome. :thumbsup:

post a clip...or be more specific. no one knows what your "noise" is. ;)

James Bass likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Did the noise stop when you touched metal on the bass? If not, shielding would have had no affect on the noise. If the noise stops when you balance both pickups, then it is typical 60hz hum from single coil pickups. If you drop in humbuckers, you will lose the 60hz noise when you favour one pickup but you will also sacrifice some of your top-end tone.

4. James Bass

James Bass

Apr 29, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. This is my first posting so I apologize for not being more specific. It buzzes at high volumes. When I place my hand on the strings it stops the buzz. I usually run both picups wide open without any tone adjustment from the tone nobs. I wanted to avoid humbuckers because I really do like the sound of the bass at lower volumes when there isn’t a buzz.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “balance both picups” ? Does that mean running them both at the same volume? or setting different volume levels to each?

5. James Bass

James Bass

Apr 29, 2019

6. James Bass

James Bass

Apr 29, 2019
    Sorry about that. (My first post). That’s a good idea. Perhaps I’ll post a clip of what my problem is. Thanks.

JRA likes this.
  7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    You don't have to sacrifice tone to get hum canceling any more. Many pickup manufacturers make split-coil or dual in-line coil pickups that cancel hum the same way a split P pickup does but within the confines of the J pickup form. In other words, each string only sees a single coil so you still get the single coil tone without the hum. Some people say they can hear a difference -- I can't hear the difference, but if it exists, it's pretty minimal compared to the difference between single coil and more traditional humbuckers where the coils are parallel or stacked instead of end-to-end.

Some options for you to consider in case you're interested (this is NOT a comprehensive list):
    Aguilar
    Bartolini
    Delano
    DiMarzio
    Nordstrand
    Seymour Duncan

James Bass likes this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Yes, I meant to put the volume equal for both pickups. That will cause the single coils to function as a humbucker.

From the sounds of it, your bass just needs a proper shielding job to resolve the issue. The fact the noise stops when you touch the strings indicates it is RF interference. Shielding a bass is not a difficult job and can easily be done at home. There are a lot of great guides on TB to help you with the task. Everything I know about shielding can be read in the link in my signature.

I hope that helps. Best of luck with your issue.

James Bass likes this.
  9. James Bass

James Bass

Apr 29, 2019

10. James Bass

James Bass

Apr 29, 2019
    Thank you so much for this info. I’ve played with active electronics for as long as I can remember and I’ve never really had any problems with noise/buzz. I really appreciate the recommendations.

11. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    One more thing -- the shielding needs to be grounded. If it's not grounded, shielding will act more like an antenna than shielding.

James Bass likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021