Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender jazz bass machine head question--HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 3, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hey everyone...I just got an American Deluxe Jazz bass in the mail today and it is beautiful. There is one thing that I don't like about it.... the back of the machine heads (tuning keys?) have black holders instead of chrome like the rest of the machine head... I don't know what to call these things but if anyone has a new deluxe jazz (mine is an 04) you might know what I'm talking about. They are the part that attaches to the headstock that the tuning key slides into... they are black instead of chrome and have the little Fender F on them. I have two questions:

1) What are these parts called?
    2) Where can I get a set of chrome replacement ones without having to order all new machine heads?

THANKS!!!
    -Tim

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Thats the carcass of the gears, you cant change them and i think that those are BML ultralights.

EDIT: those do are schaller BML ULTRALYTES

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Those black casing's are for weight reduction (lightweight tuners) they have no effect anything. I own three basses with these tuners and I personnally could care less. I also own the metal ones with the "F" on them and don't particularly care for them.

P.S. do these tuners have a screw at the bottom of the post? If they do those screws are tension screws to tighten tension of the tuners. The metal tuners don't have those! :)

4. i would keep them how they are... i think that would look cool.

and man... you are getting all new gear huh?

it seems that every post i read you are getting something cool and new.

5. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yep...I've got the same tuners on my American Deluxe, as well. I think it is strictly for weight reduction. The American Deluxe series is lighter and *smaller* than the traditional (In that I mean the headstock is actually a wee bit smaller)....

6. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    They save a suprising amount of weight compared to the previous mid '90s Deluxe machines = better balance. If you are thinking about changing them then you need to know the headstock is drilled to take small pegs on the back of the machines to stop them twisting out of line. For any replacement they would have to be the same make or you are going to have to drill new holes.
    My first reaction was a bit negative - but they work perfectly. You might expect the loss of mass to have some effect on sound/sustain but I haven't noticed it. It could be just my basses but my 2002 Jazz Deluxe is a better instrument than my '96 in terms of sustain and no deadspots - which is why the '96 is up for sale!

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Yeah i love the new Jazzes Deluxe,i go for my new one 05

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I went to the main guitar store here and talked to a bass player I know who works there. We checked a new USA Fender Deluxe like mine and it had them too. I didn't realize they were standard issue on all the new deluxe basses. I've decided they are no big deal..if they really save weight, that is cool by me. I just always like the look of the big block shiny metal machine heads from the back so these kind of threw me for a loop.

Someone mentioned the screws from the bottom..yes, they have those..although, the G string one was missing!!! I figured, no big deal, one trip to the hardware store, right? So I took the screw off the bottom of the D string, took it to Ace Hardware....they could not find its match. Took it to a different Ace hardware...no dice and they said to try Radio Shack because it might be similar to a computer screw. I figured what the hell...went to Radio Shack...they did not have any similar screws....finally went to the last Ace Hardware I knew of in town and low and behold they had one that matched close enough to work. Sheesh! Four different stores, lots of driving around town for a tiny little 25 cent piece of metal!!!

The thing I am worried about with this bass though is that I noticed there is a finish crack near where the neck meets the body. Bad news. This was an Ebay acquisition mind you, and not an official one (guys reserve didn't get met, I made him an offer, we did the whole thing outside of Ebay.) I had an Ebay bass a few months back that had hairline cracks in the body of the wood where it connects to the neck on each side--guitar store guy said it was structurally flawed so I got rid of it (Ebay again--only I actually mentioned the flaws unlike the guy I bought it from.)

Well..I've gone through TWO jazz basses SINCE then... and now this one is perfect in every way til I discover this flaw. It appears to be in the finish only and I am praying it is not into the wood... but it pisses me off the guy said it was in brand new condition. He seemed honest enough and called me several times from Alabama to do business and then today called to make sure it got here safely. He claims he bought it at a store and never had time to play. I am guessing he bought it from a store that had marked it down due to this flaw...but I do not know that for sure. know a guy in town here who bought a brand new Musicman from a store for $200 less because it fell off the wall and got chipped.

I am guessing...if this guy is being totally honest and really never played it..AND if the store he bought it from was totally honest in that they did not sell defective gear..that it is fine. Still, I am going to lose sleep over it. $700 was a good deal but not for something structurally flawed. I am taking it to a guitar expert friend tomorrow afternoon to see what he can tell me.

To answer, you, GetLow, yeah, I have been having a major GAS attack lately...though whenever I get new stuff, I always try to replace old stuff...sometimes I even come out a few bucks ahead...but if I lose money I make sure my new stuff is better than the old stuff. I replaced my Carvin LB70 with a Tobias Renegade and my 96 anniversary jazz bass (passive elec) with this jazz bass I've been talking about (I wanted a deluxe with active elec).... replacing my old Eden head with a new bigger louder Eden head....keeping my cabs for now though.... I'll probably blow a whole bunch of money on accessories from Musicians Friend pretty soon too.......

.....I am getting married one month from today and look at where my money is going....it will be a miracle if my fiancee still wants to marry me after this GAS attack is over... :)

9. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Sounds like you have more important things to think about than swapping the tuners. Is it just the finish that is cracked or is it the wood as well? Removing a neck carelessly can put a lot of leverage on the wood and finish - maybe that is what happened.
    If it is just the finish then there is not really a problem. Even if it is in the wood the real strength is in the wood-to-wood joint and the end of the pocket (I guess).
    Dare I suggest, just get on and play the thing. These are excellent, top-quality pro basses IMHO.

10. I've got a MIA deluxe p-bass V with the same machine heads

I was expecting the heavier chrome ones, but I think with th 5 string at least the weight does make a difference

watch out for those tensioning screws, I lost a couple without realising it at first...and its not just a screw but an unusually deep shaped washer too.....but I called Fender UK and they popped me a replacement in the post without having to buy a new machine head! (I posted about this a couple of weeks back...)

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    About the crack in the finish, I would not worry too much if that is the case. Just watch it from time to time and see if it gets worse, it may not but if it does it can be fixed! My Roscoe Beck had a nasty chunk taken out of the neck when the nut was removed. the first luthier who saw it told me to get my money back, then he told me his violin guy would do it but it would take two month's. The bass was sent to an authorized Fender dealer and they repaired it perfectly! It is impossible to tell anything has ever happened.. Enjoy your bass!

12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I took it to my guitar expert buddy today and he said it was not a stuctural problem but said I should probably seek a refund of some amount. He said the crack was in the finish only and there was another small crack in the wood but that it was not a stress crack and would not affect the neck at all. He put clear nail polish over the whole thing to help keep the finish crack from spreading. The guy who sold me the bass called while I was having my friend work on it and he was very concerned. He offered to take the bass back but I told him I wanted to keep it because it is beautiful and sounds awesome (i'll post pics later)... I said a discount would not hurt...he offered me a $200 discount. I felt really bad taking that (I was thinking more along the lines of $100) so I told him $150 would suffice. Other than that finish flaw, the thing is in pristine condition, and it's an 04 Fender Jazz Deluxe in amber finish with a maple board. The guy told me it was a grand new. I paid $700 shipped and now with the $150 discount it will come to really $550 shipped. My friend who I took it to said "you got really lucky..you can't beat that!!!" sweet.....

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow you are a very lucky guy..nice

14. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Pleased you got it sorted. I had to pay £999 for mine from a dealer which is getting on for $2,000 at the moment. No regrets though, it is a great bass.

15. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thank you guys. Yeah, I've had some crappy luck with Ebay in the past and kind of took a gamble this time... so when things appeared to be going sour, I panicked. Fortunately things seemed to have ended up in my favor and the bass is sweet as hell..... the guys who I showed it to were amazed at how it looked and sounded, and these are guys who like to chop up and modify guitars.