1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass MIM 70's reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bijoux, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Hey Guys,
    i searched the forums and didn't find anything specific about the new Fender Jazz bass MIM 70's.
    Well, over twenty years ago I owned the real thing and the truth is that I haven't touched a Fender Jazz Bass since then. Although I don't remember quite as well how it felt this new one didn't feel anything close to what I was expecting.
    Do you Fender guys think that the new MIM 70's style is pretty good? or does it feel like a real cheap copy of the real deal.(well, it's not that cheap either! lol)
    maybe I am just tripping out. I also have been playing 6 string basses for the last 20 years, and I have one of those Fender 24 5 string made in Korea.
    So maybe it's just me.
    Thanks for your help and your opinions.

2. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I have played, but never owned a "real" 70's era Jazz. I have owned a MIJ 70's (which I foolishly sold). I have owned a MIA 70's re-issue.

My local shop has a new MIM 70's in which I spent an afternoon with. It does not have a 3 bolt neck (it's 4 bolt). The neck binding is bright snow white, and is very thick or wide if you will (when viewed in profile). In my opinion, it plays and sounds like a standard run of the mill MIM Jazz bass.
    I was very disappointed. I think Fender did such a great job on the MIM 60's Classic (I've owned a couple), but I think they showed a really poor effort on their attempt with the 70's version. Just my opinion FWIW.