Fender Jazz Bass Models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNBURST, Sep 19, 2002.

Sep 14, 2002
    Decided on a Fender Jazz Bass. Now to choose the model. Can afford the Standard up to the American Standard so its not the money, its a matter of the best one for the money. Whats your verdict on the following: Standard, Active, 60s Classic, Geddy Lee, or the American Standard. Are the cheaper versions that are made in Mexico a waste of money or are they worth the low pricetag.:p
  2. Actually, the MIM's are okay for the money but, If it was me, I would go for the American Series...just a nice passive Jazz Bass.
  3. The American Standard. (MIA) passive. Active versions have more nobs to play with and can get a greater variety of sounds, but they don't have the warm bottom end and delicate overtones of the plain old passive version.
  4. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002

Fender FMT Am Deluxe Jazz Bass. Beats em all hands down.
  5. Do *you* want to spot him the extra grand?:rolleyes:

I have a MIM jazz, which now looks remarkably similar to the 60's jazz.

If you like the classic look, get the MIM Classic 60's jazz. The parts are upgraded from the MIM, and sounds fantastic.
  6. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    You can get em for about $1450.
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I recommend the Fender American Series. (MIA).

I bought the five string version last august, with three tone sunburst.

(pics in the sig..)
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've been really happy with my 62 reissue (MIA) and would recommend that model personally.
  9. ok, sorry, thats only $600 more then his price range, why not just tell him to get a sadowsky :rolleyes:
  10. You could do what I did. I got a Geddy Lee Jazz and dropped in a J-Retro. Kicks an American Standard Jazz's ass and looks cooler (at least to me, love those black blocks) too. Also, it has a slimmer neck profile because Geddy Had his shaved down so his signature model has the same profile.

BTW - Dont be scared about the "signature model" stuff, the only place it says anything about it is on the back of the headstock.
  11. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    I would say the get the Geddy Lee and, like someone else said, put the J-Retro's in there. I really like the GL, but its a preference. Play them all and if like you say ,money is not an issue, get the one that feels best to you.

12. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    The Mexican stuff has only gotten better and better. If you get a new one it will be shielded, the polarity of the pickups is reversed, so when both pickups are on full there is no hum. They have normal jazz bass knobs and overall are very good. I think they have a better bang/buck ratio than the American ones. So, if you know nobody will laugh at you for playing an import, get the MIM.
  13. The MIM Jazzes are very good for the money; I have a fretless one. If you have the bread, get the American standard, why not?

The best advice anyone can give: Play as many as you can - the different models all sound slightly different. If you like the American FMT, but, your wallet doesn't, they just came out with a MIM version; only $499.99 Check it out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8164941114/search/g=home/detail/base_id/73217

Good luck.

Mike J.
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd get either the Geddy Lee or the 60's Classic. I had a Geddy Lee for a while & have played a few others since I sold mine & I feel that that bass has trhe BEST feeling neck of any Fender I've ever played.

I'm thinking about getting a 60's classic in white (or find a USA 62 RI used). I'd like to have a White Jazz w/a tort pickguard.
  15. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    its all about the black block inlays on the geddy lee.
  16. I say "get what floats yer boat(MIM,MIJ or MIA)but remember you get what you pay for!
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

IMHO the Geddy Lee is the best bang for the buck. I love mine, it's nicer than a lot of MIA's I have played.

Sep 14, 2002
    Thanks all for the comments. I saw these from Music123. How about these for choices:

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    You might want to consider getting a lakland skyline joe osborn

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Passive American Standard. I absolutely love mine. And don't make any mods, they are fine as they are.